Permission Denied

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
adamdmills

Re: Permission Denied

Post by adamdmills »

I've been having the same basic problem. All of a sudden, for no discernible reason, new torrents refused to start and I received the "Permission Denied" error. It didn't matter what drive or folder I was trying to save the torrents to, they all gave the same error. I checked my file permissions and they were all set to "read & write". The weird thing is that older torrents that were still downloading didn't give the same message - they just continued on like normal.

I updated to version 1.91+ (10300), but that didn't fix the problem.

So I reverted back to 1.76 (9392), and it seems to be working fine now. But I'd rather be up to date than have to run an outmoded version.
williamj

Post by williamj »

I had this same problem using OSX Snow leopard with Transmission 1.9. I don't think I updated anything but one day all the new torrents gave this permission denied warning while all the old ones carried on working fine. By trying lots of different things I stumbled across a solution that worked for me. Maybe it will work for others.
When looking at file sharing under system preferences I noticed that under options, the check box for "share files and folders using SMB (windows)" had become unchecked. I rechecked it and now all new torrents are fine. I have no idea why this should be necessary but it works for me.

Good luck
adamdmills

Post by adamdmills »

Worked!

I wonder how that became unchecked - I'm not even sure what SMB is, so wouldn't have changed it myself. But anyway, everything's back to normal and I'm up to date with Transmission releases. Cheers.
tokyobitdotcom

Post by tokyobitdotcom »

Had the same problem, Permission Denied on Snow Leopard, latest stable version 1.91. Checked ownership of the drive/folder, all was fine, also repaired permissions on the disk in case partitioning and playing with the hard disk has done some horrible things to break it. All was fine there too.

FIXED IT by downloading th latest nightly build from here, http://transmission.xpjets.com/

all was fine again when i relaunched! yay!

(thanks to the developers for fixing this one!)
Elric

Post by Elric »

This is getting ridiculous. I'm downloading the "nightly" but I doubt it's going to work.

So nobody that actually works on this App has any idea? Can you at the very least acknowledge the problem and reassure us you are working on it?
drolevar

Post by drolevar »

Ok, here's my solution.
My files were stored on an external drive named EXTERNAL. So the path to the files was /Volumes/EXTERNAL/Somefile...
Then all of a sudden I have discovered that in the Volumes folder there's an empty folder called EXTERNAL, and the real drive is mounted to /Volumes/EXTERNAL 1
So all the new torrents were added to /Volumes/EXTERNAL 1/Somefile... and were working fine, while old ones did not.
So I have just removed the /Volumes/EXTERNAL folder and reinserted the drive, which has now correctly mounted to /Volumes/EXTERNAL.
Check, it might be your problem as well.
Planny

Post by Planny »

I'm seeing the exact same issue here where a new folder is created in /Volumes with a space then a 1 appended to it's name.

I can see the folder being created there after a torrent is added and begins to download, suddenly the torrent will stop with a Permission Denied error and the new folder in Volumes will appear.

It has a top listing of Permissions as "Everyone" set to "Custom". You need an admin password to move the file to the trash. It seems like Transmission is creating this folder but I have no idea why it would start now. Possibly a 10.6.3 conflict.
lsiegert

Re: [Posible Solution] Permission Denied

Post by lsiegert »

squashboy wrote:Try this it worked for me :

Quit Transmission
delete ~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
delete ~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
delete ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission
Open Transmission
Add your torrent

It removes all your settings and active torrents but it solved the errors for me.

Can anyone else confirm?

-sb
This worked for me.

I believe that what caused issues for me was that I changed my short name, using the instructions found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428. According to that page permissions and ownership should be corrected but there are some applications (like Transmission!) that apparently do weird things.
Rebel
Banned

Post by Rebel »

I hope this will help some of you.

This started happening to me tonight, after upgrading to Snow leopard yesterday. When I plugged in my external drive and started Transmission, ALL my torrents were starting from the beginning again.
Tried verifying contents but that didn't help. Then I remembered something that's helped in the past: I selected all the torrents and then moved them to the external drive again. Transmission was then able to find them, but I still had to verify contents. All seemed well after that until I added new torrents, and began getting the Permission Denied error. Thought it was a bad torrent, so I downloaded another version, then another. Then I added a totally different file and the same thing happened.

At first I thought maybe it was related to my upgrade to Snow Leopard yesterday, then I Googled Transmission Permission Denied, and found this thread, so I see I'm not alone. I'm sure that likely caused the torrents to restart, but not the permissions error. I tried changing the drive's permissions, to no avail. After fuxing with it for a while I tried moving the problem torrents to the external drive like I did with the others, and they started downloading immediately. Seems Transmission loses track of where the files are supposed to go, or something. :?

For those of you needing assistance, here's how to move the files:

Select the file(s) you want to move. Go to the File Menu and select move Data File To..., then browse to the location where you want the files to be, and click the Select button. If the torrent doesn't begin downloading, verify the contents and then click Resume.
Alternatively, after selecing the file(s), right click and choose Move Data File To..., then browse to the location where you want the files to be, and click the Select button.

Then post a reply to let others know if this helped. 8-)

Transmission 1.9.3
OS X 10.6.3
Last edited by Rebel on Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
codyt321

Post by codyt321 »

Hey, this solved the problem I had! Thanks a lot!! I had a 35 GB video project I was downloading and did not want to have to start over lol
Rebel
Banned

Post by Rebel »

Cody, if you're referring to the tip I posted, I'm glad I could help. You didn't say if it was my tip or the changing drive permissions suggested earlier in this thread.

I'm still having permissions trouble. Every new torrent I add gives me the Permissions Denied error, and I have to move, verify and resume. :evil:
geedeezy

Re: Permission Denied - BUT FIX WORKS SQUASH!

Post by geedeezy »

I am having the same issue. However, I have full read/write on ALL my volumes. The issue goes away if I write to my boot volume. Any other volume automatically gets the "Permission denied" error. And, it is not about "copyrighted materials" as someone had tried to imply earlier, these are public domain materials.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.3 on a MacBook Pro. Transmission version 1.93 (10621)

I have manually picked out the offending folders and volumes, and manually changed the permissions to read/write for ALL, and still the problem exists.

I might also note that I am an Apple software engineer, not just a standard user, so I sorta know what I am doing when it comes to permissions. I am not saying that to brag, just to say, I have checked the permissions multiple ways and the only way I can get Transmission's current version (this just started happening) is by saving the files to boot volume.

GOOD NEWS!

I can confirm that this posting by squash boy DOES SOLVE the problem! However, be forewarned that it deletes any in-process transfers, so if you had a big file that was 1/2 way finished, you will get to start again!

by squashboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:12 am

Try this it worked for me :

Quit Transmission
Open Transmission
Add your torrent

It removes all your settings and active torrents but it solved the errors for me.

Can anyone else confirm?

-sb
leeeden

Re: [Posible Solution] Permission Denied

Post by leeeden »

squashboy wrote:Try this it worked for me :

Quit Transmission
Open Transmission
Add your torrent

Can anyone else confirm?

-sb
thanks very much for that worked a treat.
Burai

Post by Burai »

I can also confirm that it does work.

But you don't have to lose your progress. Before you follow squashboy's steps, navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission/Torrents and copy these .torrent files out to somewhere safe. Follow squashboy's instructions, launch Transmission and set up your preferences.

Then move the .torrents to the same folders where their corresponding data files live. IE, if you keep all of your incomplete files in a folder called ~/Documents/Incomplete, move the torrents that hadn't finished into the root of that folder. Now, double-click on the .torrents, adding them to Transmission. Transmission should automatically detect the existing data files and attempt to check them, allowing you to carry on where you left off.
shaivera

Post by shaivera »

I managed to get it up an running for a brief while, after cleaning out my prefs/settings, but it's reverted to permission denied. Haven't meddled with anything on my external drives, but doublechecking all the permissions shows everything in order. Even grabbing a nightly build and cleaning my prefs again didn't help.