Permission Denied

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Rebel
Banned

Re: Permission Denied

Post by Rebel »

All my torrents are still running fine.

Yes, I still have to move, verify and resume each new torrent added, but then they finish with no further troubles.

I have not tried the file removal process.
Pushit

Post by Pushit »

Been getting this error since moving to a new disk. Old torrents are OK, newly added torrents are not. I have not tried any of the aforementioned solutions suggested in this discussion. I feel that this is an application specific error, and thus should be fixed with an appropriate update, asap! Using version 1.93 on OS X 10.6.3.

First post on my behalf. Yay me! :)

Thanks!
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

Pushit wrote:Been getting this error since moving to a new disk. Old torrents are OK, newly added torrents are not. I have not tried any of the aforementioned solutions suggested in this discussion. I feel that this is an application specific error, and thus should be fixed with an appropriate update, asap! Using version 1.93 on OS X 10.6.3.

First post on my behalf. Yay me! :)

Thanks!

Let me get this straight - you're posting about an error with a known solution, refusing to attempt said solution, and passing the buck to us? The issue is clearly and completely on your end, and will not be fixed with any update from us.
Pushit

Post by Pushit »

Judging by the other replies in this thread, this IS an application specific error. When one has to perform tedious tasks with regular intervals in order for Transmission to function properly, I would say that your reply is blatantly ignorant, with all due respect. That said, in my specific case, it could certainly be a client-side issue (with regards to replacing my old disk). However, a significant amount of users are experiencing the very same error for obviously different reasons. So, if you expect maybe as much as tens of thousands of Transmission users to follow the solution in this thread, you are way out of line, that much is clear. So yes, I am passing the buck on to you.
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

Permission Denied is a local error on the file system. If the user running Transmission doesn't have read/write privileges to the drive or folder you're trying to download to, then it displays this error.

Further, if you're not willing to try the solutions listed in this thread by other users, why should we help you? Even the first post has a fix that will likely work for you.

Finally, if this was a widespread issue with Transmission, more users would have reported it. Just because you "feel" that this is an application issue doesn't make it so.
bbh

Post by bbh »

As an earlier post mentioned, there had already some time back been 7000 views of this thread -- it may not be an isolated problem.

It seems to be a local error on the file system which is apparently being induced by Transmission doing something weird, though it's entirely possible it's a strange bug in the OS that's only appearing when Transmission does something legitimate. As the previous posts made clear, it is *not* a permissions issue in the sense that those reporting the problem already have their permissions set properly and aren't experiencing the problem with any other application.

The poster you replied to is probably not willing to try the previous solutions because they don't apply, e.g. he has SMB sharing set properly, or because they involve redownloading all one's torrents or at the least doing a bunch of shuffling around every couple of days, seemingly at random, and only for Transmission. It takes hours for Transmission to finish checking the existing data for the torrents on my network drive when I have to do the shuffle myself, and that's really annoying.

As you've probably inferred, I'm also having this problem. When it started and I couldn't puzzle it out myself, my instinct -- born of my esteem for Transmission as the best Mac torrent client and my deep respect for those who work on it -- was to check the forums to see what help was available or what help I could offer. Everyone appreciates all the hard work that goes into Transmission and into supporting it. But your response was out of line and mistaken.

Do you want reports of the application-specific problem here in the forum or as bug reports?
bbh

Post by bbh »

It looks like there are already relevant bug reports: #2336 and #3198.
Planny

Post by Planny »

One cause seems to be launching Transmission without it's associated external hard disc connected.

Here's how I fixed the error message:

1. Quit Transmission.
2. In the Finder hit SHIFT+COMMAND+G for Go To Folder and enter "/Volumes" Hit Return to Go. (this is to monitor and verify things)
3. In the Volumes folder you should see your external hard discs listed. The one Transmission is using will likely have an "1" appended to it's name.
4. Eject ALL external drives. Volumes folder should be nearly empty after they eject.
5. Wait a moment then reconnect them. Once mounted, check to see if Volumes shows the hard disc Transmission is using with the correct name (NO "1" appended)
6. Relaunch Transmission and Resume things. You'll have to suffer through it verifying EVERY one that you want active though for some reason.

That's what worked for me. I have no idea if it'll work in all cases.
rlon

Post by rlon »

Genius.
This last posting worked perfectly. The problem seems to be that Mac creates another file which shows up in the volumes, that has the same name as the actual hard drive folder, but is some sort of shared folder - and the permissions on this are set differently than the hardrive of the same name!
Fixing the permission on this weird folder fixed the problem. So no need for all the complicated stuff of some earlier posts.
Cheers
wtjones

Post by wtjones »

I'm guessing that all of you are external drives. Best thing to do is eject external drive, quit transmission, restart computer plug in external drive, restart external drive.

All should work.
glasskat

Post by glasskat »

Rebel wrote: For those of you needing assistance, here's how to move the files:

Select the file(s) you want to move. Go to the File Menu and select move Data File To..., then browse to the location where you want the files to be, and click the Select button. If the torrent doesn't begin downloading, verify the contents and then click Resume.
Alternatively, after selecing the file(s), right click and choose Move Data File To..., then browse to the location where you want the files to be, and click the Select button.

Then post a reply to let others know if this helped. 8-)

Transmission 1.9.3
OS X 10.6.3
I'm really new to this so bare with me....
I switched from Vuze to Transmission...I moved the torrents fine because they were seeding and they were also seeding from the external drive I moved them to...I recently upgraded to the newer version 2.2
Now all of the torrents that were originally from Vuze are showing "Error: No data found" so I followed the prompt and tried "Move Data File To"...so that I can reload them....moving them to a separate folder on the same external drive but, when i open the folder nothing is there.
I even tried to reload the original torrent...but all it wants to do is create a new torrent... What am I doing wrong?
I
glasskat

Post by glasskat »

I've tried that....it wants to create a new torrent file... and when i try to reload the original one i can't because the file already exists..i tried to move the file and then reload it...and it won't move or doesn't appear to move... I know i've done something wrong...either when setting up the default folder or when deleting the original torrent file....I'm just well versed enough to figure it out...

and i don't want to download them again...there are too many
erikku3000

Post by erikku3000 »

Planny wrote:One cause seems to be launching Transmission without it's associated external hard disc connected.

Here's how I fixed the error message:

1. Quit Transmission.
2. In the Finder hit SHIFT+COMMAND+G for Go To Folder and enter "/Volumes" Hit Return to Go. (this is to monitor and verify things)
3. In the Volumes folder you should see your external hard discs listed. The one Transmission is using will likely have an "1" appended to it's name.
4. Eject ALL external drives. Volumes folder should be nearly empty after they eject.
5. Wait a moment then reconnect them. Once mounted, check to see if Volumes shows the hard disc Transmission is using with the correct name (NO "1" appended)
6. Relaunch Transmission and Resume things. You'll have to suffer through it verifying EVERY one that you want active though for some reason.

That's what worked for me. I have no idea if it'll work in all cases.
THANKS! This worked for me... for some reason there was a blank folder in my /Volumes with the exact same name as my external drive. I deleted the folder, ejected my drive, and then re-mounted it. All is well now, thanks
zuhairnaqvi

Post by zuhairnaqvi »

In case the "ignore ownership..." option doesn't work, there is one more reason this could be happening (cos it was happening to me). In the "preferences" menu, I had indicated a particular folder for "keep incomplete files in..." However, i was trying to download files into a different folder! It gave exactly the same "Permission Denied" message.

Easy and obvious fix was to ensure i'm downloading to the same folder as the one specified above.

Hope this helps.
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

zuhairnaqvi wrote:In case the "ignore ownership..." option doesn't work, there is one more reason this could be happening (cos it was happening to me). In the "preferences" menu, I had indicated a particular folder for "keep incomplete files in..." However, i was trying to download files into a different folder! It gave exactly the same "Permission Denied" message.

Easy and obvious fix was to ensure i'm downloading to the same folder as the one specified above.

Hope this helps.
It did. Thanks! By explicitly setting the 'Keep incomplete files' folder to be the same as the download folder (Preferences > Transfers > Adding tab), the problem disappeared.

This started happening when the external disc that I download to to got switched off accidentally during a transfer. I also notice that this thread has been going on for three years… Time to make Transmission a little more robust in this regard?