Port is open but still slow d/l speed

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Gorms

Port is open but still slow d/l speed

Post by Gorms »

Hi all,

I know there are many posts on this topic, however I couldn't come across anything that mentioned what to do if ur still getting slow d/l speeds even when the port in Transmission is open. I have a green light in the preferences menu saying the port is open, but I still only get max 30kb/sec d/l speed. I'm uploading higher around 60kb/sec or so. I tried looking at the wiki but cant figure out what is wrong here. Can anyone help me out on this issue, I use Bell Sympatico in Ontario if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
essiw

Re: Port is open but still slow d/l speed

Post by essiw »

did you set your upload limit to a max of 80% of your providers upload speed?
Gorms

Post by Gorms »

how do i find out my providers max upload speed?
essiw

Post by essiw »

http://www.speedtest.net/ divide the numbers with 8 (1 byte = 8 bits)
banz3

Post by banz3 »

I made the test on the website indicated by the last answer. But still don't know what can I take from that test. I have the problem mentioned in the topic, and also more. It's not only slow speed. It's also irregular: sometimes download and upload, but most of the time transmission doesn't download nor upload anything. Sometimes the port is open (green light), sometimes is closed (red), and many times it can't make contact to the "website" (yellow, orange) or whatever this color means.

I really need help, because I'm a bit desperate: a download of an episode used to take me one night, and now takes over a week.

If there is anyone who can help me, please be my guest.

Facts:

Although there are no viruses for Macintosh it can be an error, because I think I downloaded something that started to shut down SAFARI every time I accessed Gmail.

I'm in Norway and since they control very much, many things, probably my computer can be blocked or something like that. Although I think that this situation is a very remote one.

Once again, please help me. I'm a bit desperate.

Francisco
dandruff

Post by dandruff »

Use your french classes (I know you had some, you live in ontario!)

http://techno.branchez-vous.com/actuali ... se_de.html

For the others, Bell is limiting the download speed to 30Kb/s "to improve general user experience over the Internet"! YEAH, RIGHT! :roll:
essiw

Post by essiw »

dandruff wrote:Use your french classes (I know you had some, you live in ontario!)

http://techno.branchez-vous.com/actuali ... se_de.html

For the others, Bell is limiting the download speed to 30Kb/s "to improve general user experience over the Internet"! YEAH, RIGHT! :roll:
O.O that takes 20 seconds to load just a page what kind of bull **** is that
dandruff

Post by dandruff »

essiw wrote:O.O that takes 20 seconds to load just a page what kind of bull **** is that
?????
essiw

Post by essiw »

dandruff wrote:
essiw wrote:O.O that takes 20 seconds to load just a page what kind of bull **** is that
?????
i was refering to bell ;)
skidd

Post by skidd »

I'm also in Canada and there was an episode of "Marketplace" last spring where they knocking on doors randomly around Toronto and asked people if they could test their internet speed. They had a couple of people each from Rogers, Sympatico/Bell, & Telus (there may have been another one too - shaw, maybe? I'm not in Ont so not sure what the big companies are there). Anyway, one of the guys who was with Bell was paying extra for some super high-speed package and his was the slowest of all (he got something like 18% of the speed he was paying for), Rogers was fastest, Telus was in between. It was funny to watch because they had reps from the companies with the clients waiting while they downloaded some huge file... then they interviewed some Bell CEO and she blamed it on old lines, said they were working hard to upgrade, blah blah blah... Good luck! :P Here in the boonies we only have one ISP to choose from and it's a small family-run business so they do try to keep the customers happy.
JayDub

Post by JayDub »

I'm using a Sympatico with a Mac in downtown Toronto. I pay extra for the "fast" service. While my connection speed test is showing close to 3200 kbps download speeds, Transmission is only able to download at somewhere between 0.6 and 2.0 kpbs!!! (Even when downloading from 8 peers!). I can download web pages quick. YouTube, no problem. But downloading files via Transmission, well, be prepared to spend a week downloading a 2 Gig file.

I've heard that Bell has some sort of "brake" system in place to prevent people from downloading files illegally. I wonder if that's what's happening here.
jah

Post by jah »

turn on encryption. try downloading a well seeded torrent like ubuntu. if ubuntu maxes your connection, then it isn't transmissions problem.
shanelemon

Post by shanelemon »

Hi;

I live in Ontario as well and use Sympatico. I can not get over 30 kb/s either, even downloading ubuntu.

Mac OS X 10.3.11 (PPC)
Transmission 1.42 (7494)
Port is Open
Ignoring unecrypted / Preferring encryped

Not sure what todo. Going to see if Bell is bittorrent shaping / throttling using Google M-Labs (Glasnost) as soon as isn't too busy. Don't worry if you notice Google M-labs link doesn't point to the Google domain, they are in partnership with the domain referenced in the link. For Mac users you have to trust the Java applet for it to work.

Any Suggestions, besides switching to rogers?

Cheers;
shanelemon

Post by shanelemon »

Update to last post.

I get 250 kb/s to 300 kb/s before 4:00 PM and I get 25 kb/s to 30 kb/s after 4:00 PM. Pretty sure Bell Sympatico is shaping / trottling bittorrent downloads. My internet connection speed is consistent according to online speed tests.