Transmission deleted/hid my Downloads-folder

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
pedri

Transmission deleted/hid my Downloads-folder

Post by pedri »

Hi

Something weird happened the other night and i think transmission was the cause.
I tried to download a torrent, but when it was loaded into Transmission, no torrent name was shown. I deleted the torrent + data files and a dialog was shown: "Are you sure you want to remove "(null)" from the transfer list and trash the data file?"

When i said yes, My Dowloads folder was deleted. The _parent_ folder for my all of my Transmission and other downloads. Deleted.

This was shown on system log:
15.11.2008 23.54.23 Transmission[1540] Could not trash /Users/username/Downloads: “Downloads” could not be removed because you do not have appropriate access privileges.

Still, all of my downloads were gone. I can't find them with spotlight, locate, ls -al. Not in the Trash either.

The torrent that caused this had maybe some kind of encoding problem, it has 'ä' letters in it but they are shown as question marks inside a diamond. I can PM the url to torrent, if someone happen to have access to site i'm downloading from.

Is the Downloads-folder really gone now, or are the files wasting HD space somewhere I can't access? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm running OS X 10.5.5, Transmission 1.40 (7084)

-- pedri
Manas

Re: Transmission deleted/hid my Downloads-folder

Post by Manas »

Hi!

Have you found the solution of this problem?

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Please, if you have some solution, could you write about it?
pedri

Post by pedri »

Hello,

No, I didn't find a solution, except to be very careful when deleting torrents which has encoding problems via Transmission. I can't remember any more which torrent it was that caused this, but maybe Manas could post more info about the torrent you deleted that caused your Downloads to disappear?
TheBang

Post by TheBang »

Sounds like you ran into this bug, which was fixed in an unspecified manner in 1.50:

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/1029
registered99

Post by registered99 »

I just ran into this issue. Is there any way to retrieve the data? I'm a little confused as to why it deleted the entire parent folder.
registered99

Post by registered99 »

x190 wrote:
registered99 wrote:I just ran into this issue. Is there any way to retrieve the data? I'm a little confused as to why it deleted the entire parent folder.
Is this parent folder one that was originally created by Transmission?
No, it was my Mac's standard Download folder. Originally, I did set the Transmission software to use the Download folder for downloading.
registered99

Post by registered99 »

It's a Leopard-created folder.

Ah, it seems some have experienced the same problem as I. But, I think it is more of a bug than the default behavior. I had been deleting a torrent that seemed to have had an error, as it was named (null).