Transmission locks video files even after torrent removed

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
stern

Transmission locks video files even after torrent removed

Post by stern »

After removing a torrent (Remove From List...) Transmission will keep any video files open so they can't be deleted. After moving the files to the Trash, trying to empty it will result in an error message that the files are in use. lsof says it's Transmission that's using the files, and after closing Transmission the empty trash command completes successfully.

Strangely enough I've only seen this with video files, eg. any pictures included in the same torrent can be deleted without issues.

Transmission 1.40+ (7329), OS X 10.5.5 x86, and I'm sure the same thing happens with Transmission 1.34 as well.
Weaselboy

Re: Transmission locks video files even after torrent removed

Post by Weaselboy »

Were you by chance viewing those files with OS X Quick Look? I have had an issue deleting a file it it was viewed with Quick Look and no other file has been viewed afterward.

This has nothing to do with Transmission, but is a Quick Look problem that would perhaps appear to be related to Transmission.
stern

Post by stern »

No, and it happens even if I have no Finder windows open so no preview icon has been generated yet.
jsjoholm

Post by jsjoholm »

Yeah, I have been experiencing the same problem. I tend to move everything I download to network share points once they are completed and I have removed them from the Transmission list - most time I have to close the client before commencing with the network file transfer (seeing as it takes too long I usually do it overnight, which means that when I wake up I am otherwise met with the error message and I have to redo a large part of the file transfer again).
essiw

Post by essiw »

stern wrote:No, and it happens even if I have no Finder windows open so no preview icon has been generated yet.
try to quit every program except Transmission, (also you could have some add-on downloaded with could cause this)