Cannot remove Transmission 7487 Update from trash!

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
littlecurvieme

Cannot remove Transmission 7487 Update from trash!

Post by littlecurvieme »

I upgraded (as per Transmission's suggestion) to 1.42, and followed the instructions for installation. Very simple, never had an issues before, right? Wrong! I noticed there was something in my trash, so went to empty it, but I get this error message:

The operation cannot be completed because the item ".HFS+ Private Directory Data" is locked.

The file is now listed as: Trash/Recovered Files/Transmission 7487 Update/9F0B1A8B-14CD-4008-B142-2F1B1A833655-269-000000338BF02415

Please help! How can I get this out of my trash? And if it matters, my new version of Transmission runs just fine. The only issue is just that I want this old file gone.

TIA!
roadsnake

Re: Cannot remove Transmission 7487 Update from trash!

Post by roadsnake »

I got the same problem and I managed to get rid of it using command: sudo rm -r filename
combia1

Post by combia1 »

Exact same problem here, only the sudo command does not work.

The only thing in my trash is an empty folder with no files in it. I searched for invisible files and found nothing.
combia1

Post by combia1 »

I found a solution. Although "Secure Empty Trash" didn't work, I held down the Option key and selected "Empty Trash" from the finder menu. That did the trick. Holding down the Option key lets you delete locked files.

Still strange though.
TheHui

Post by TheHui »

go to your ./Trash directory then:

sudo rm -rf foldername

This works fine for me. I got it from:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=202042

Originally from:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... 3Dwg&pli=1

Hope it works for anyone who has the same problem. Be sure you enter it in the ./Trash! Don't delete your other folders... Deleting things from the command line in UNIX environment is quite risky.
TheHui

Post by TheHui »

[combia1]... haven't tried that yet. I should have tried it before I deleted it! Good to know that though : )