setting up firewall and little snitch for transmission

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
anonstirfry

setting up firewall and little snitch for transmission

Post by anonstirfry »

Ok, I've been using transmission for a few weeks now successfully but without setting up my firewall and having LS 2 turned off. I did some searching and cannot find what ports or protocols should be opened for transmission. I did see someone suggest setting up LS to give transmission complete access to all ports, but this seems silly. Isn't there a defined set that I should allow and have LS warn me of any other activity? I a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff, so feel free to let me know if I'm completely wrong.

Thanks all
anonstirfry

Re: setting up firewall and little snitch for transmission

Post by anonstirfry »

I found this information for little snitch on their support site for use with Azureus, which I assume would be comparable rules for use with transmission:

"I have 4 rules. udp/tcp are separated as I've noticed I still get connection attempts with ANY rule type.

JavaApplicationStub Allow UDP connections to port 1030-65535
JavaApplicationStub Allow TCP connections to port 1030-65535
JavaApplicationStub Allow any connection to port 80 (http)
JavaApplicationStub Deny any network connection to port 1-1029
(IMHO no program should have access to ports 0-1030 unless I specifically allow it. My XP machines are set up the same way.) "

As far as the firewall is concerned, I'm assuming that the only port that needs to be opened is the port you select for port forwarding (user defined).

Does this all sound right? Any corrections are very welcomed!