Help uploading my first file with transmission

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
twinkerzzz

Help uploading my first file with transmission

Post by twinkerzzz »

Hi
i got a couple of questions as a newbie uploader using transmission

1. Can i create & upload a torrent file but still have files downloading and seeding in transmission or do i have to pause stuff or remove any other kind of activity whilst creating and actually uploading a torrent using Transmission ?
2. Is it better to keep the uploading file in a different directory to the downloading files or does it not matter ?
3. My average uploading speeds from my ISP is around 1.8- 1.9MB service - what would you say is a good upload speed to set in transmission prefs (in KB/s) ? (sorry - im mr cluelss and confused on kb/s & KB/s & mbs mbps - so you have to spell it out to me!)

I think thats about it....

thanks for your time and attention

twzzz
Maxtcc

Re: Help uploading my first file with transmission

Post by Maxtcc »

Hi twinkerzzz

I'm am somewhat new as well but I do have some answers for you.

1. you do not need to stop or pause anything that transmission is currently doing
2. doesn't matter, I like to separate the types of files for my own quick referral, but you do not need to
3. I don't think your u/l speeds could be that high unless you found a truly awesome provider, most North American ISPs are about 5Mb/s download.
That is probably your download rate and that is total not a rate for the torrent files which is usually 1/6 to 1/10 of that rate. often for good isp connections, and this is relative,
the torrent upload rate I use is 75-100 kb/s=KB/s=0.075mb/s=0.075MB/s=mbps=mbs

Hope this helps.
twinkerzzz

Post by twinkerzzz »

Maxtcc wrote:Hi twinkerzzz

I'm am somewhat new as well but I do have some answers for you.
3. I don't think your u/l speeds could be that high unless you found a truly awesome provider, most North American ISPs are about 5Mb/s download.
That is probably your download rate and that is total not a rate for the torrent files which is usually 1/6 to 1/10 of that rate. often for good isp connections, and this is relative,
the torrent upload rate I use is 75-100 kb/s=KB/s=0.075mb/s=0.075MB/s=mbps=mbs
Hope this helps.

hi
thanks
re provider
i'm with Be* in the uk - hxxps://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do
they say they offer a 24meg download and 1.3 meg upload - in reality i get an 8 meg download and about a 0.9meg upload
(to correct my previous figure.) so i guess that would mean i could use a 300 KB?/s down & a 90KB/s up to reflect that ????
Maxtcc

Post by Maxtcc »

twinkerzzz

well I would always leave the download as unlimited,it never really interferes with any other traffic I am doing
As for upload your figure if 90kb/s is a good place to start.
set it at that then you keep an eye on it and tweak it up until your downloads start to slow then put it back down again to the last one that was best.

AND if you wish the most out it , remember that isps service is always changing up and down in bandwidth , so the ideal is changing as well.

On a side not I just installed the 1.50 beta of transmission and it really pick up some speed with peers it previously ignored. you may want to try it , but remember it is a beta so there maybe a glitch or two or maybe none.

Take care.
essiw

Post by essiw »

Maxtcc wrote: well I would always leave the download as unlimited,it never really interferes with any other traffic I am doing
I should not do that, if I do that here, the speed of other programms that are on the internet do dramatically slow down.
Maxtcc

Post by Maxtcc »

essiw wrote:I should not do that, if I do that here, the speed of other programms that are on the internet do dramatically slow down.
peculiar . As I manage sometimes to get 1.9 MB/s download (if there are enough peers)
and this does not sem to unduely slow my other surfing activities and my ISP is at bes 6.5M/s d/l
but every provider is different.
good luck. and just tinker with the speeds