Is drag and drop reording busted/gone?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
wyldphyre

Is drag and drop reording busted/gone?

Post by wyldphyre »

Hi,

I updated by copy of transmission to 1.50 (7886) (on Tiger) in the last couple of days, and all seemed well until just now when I tried to reorder some of my torrent by dragging them. I can't drag anything anymore, all that happens is that I end up selecting multiple items as the mouse passes over them. This is while sorting by queue order. I've tried using other ordering but it hasn't helped, and I can't see a way to disable sorting altogether.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm hoping this isn't expected behaviour now, because I can't see any way other than dragging and dropping to change the order in which torrents are to be downloaded, which is a real pain. I saw mention of something to do with grouping being restricted to version 1.6+ in another thread, so I'm wondering if something had been changed for 1.5 with the intention of changing it again in the future?

Thanks
wyldphyre

Re: Is drag and drop reording busted/gone?

Post by wyldphyre »

Aha. It seems it is still possible to use dragging to reorder items, but now you can only do so if you use the area surrounding the icon on the left of each torrent in the list. Historically I have been able to initiate a drag by clicking and dragging on the title area (and probably anywhere on the torrent, but I can't say for sure), and that method no longer seems to work.

If a dev sees this, could they confirm whether or not there has been change to how you can initiate a drag event?

Thanks
timta2

Post by timta2 »

I can click anywhere (including the title of the torrent) and drag to reorder in 10.5.6 using 1.50 (7886).
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

timta2 wrote:I can click anywhere (including the title of the torrent) and drag to reorder in 10.5.6 using 1.50 (7886).
Hmm, ok. Could be something specific to Tiger or my machine then. If it is a bug, hopefully the old functionality can be restored in a future update, but at least for now I can still work around the problem.

Thanks for the info.
110rdr33f4

Post by 110rdr33f4 »

It may have had to change because of the addition of the pop-up menu. I use Tiger, and I'm training myself to aim for the icon when I want to reorder.
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

This is actually weird. I had no idea I could drag and drop to reorder - in fact, I *believe* that "trying to drag and drop" (the movement used to do it) was what I used to select multiple torrents when I was REALLY lazy... Now drag and drop just works =) (Leopard .5.6)
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

110rdr33f4 wrote:It may have had to change because of the addition of the pop-up menu. I use Tiger, and I'm training myself to aim for the icon when I want to reorder.
Not sure what you mean by "the addition of the popup menu". The popup menu on the icon has always been there as far as I know, and the context menu that you can access when right clicking on the main portion of the torrent shouldn't have anything to do with a regular left click drag event.
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

guilherme wrote:This is actually weird. I had no idea I could drag and drop to reorder - in fact, I *believe* that "trying to drag and drop" (the movement used to do it) was what I used to select multiple torrents when I was REALLY lazy... Now drag and drop just works =) (Leopard .5.6)
Did you never reorder your torrent then?

Or is there some other way to change the order in which they will download?
Einkoro

Post by Einkoro »

I'm having the same issue with 1.50 on 10.4.11. The only way to reorder torrents is to click and drag their icon and then the menu pops open after dragging and dropping it. Very irritating.
TheBang

Post by TheBang »

Confirmed. In Tiger, the only way to Drag and Drop is the icon, and the menu (usually) pops up after you Drop.
110rdr33f4

Post by 110rdr33f4 »

wyldphyre wrote:Not sure what you mean by "the addition of the popup menu". The popup menu on the icon has always been there as far as I know, and the context menu that you can access when right clicking on the main portion of the torrent shouldn't have anything to do with a regular left click drag event.
I've never encountered the popup menu before now. Never hit the right spot, I suppose.
Debu

Post by Debu »

There is also a different pop-up menu if you right-click (control+click) on the icon.
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

Debu wrote:There is also a different pop-up menu if you right-click (control+click) on the icon.
Yeah, this is the same menu you get if you right click anywhere on the torrent. Or that's how it works for me at least. :)
wyldphyre

Post by wyldphyre »

TheBang wrote:Confirmed. In Tiger, the only way to Drag and Drop is the icon, and the menu (usually) pops up after you Drop.
If you drag using the white space around the icon you should be able to avoid the menu popping up.

I think the fact that the primary remaining way to drag (in Tiger at least), via the icon, causes the menu to launch, indicates that the behaviour we are seeing is not what was intended by the developers, since it seems it would be silly to say "you must drag from here, but if you do so you will also cause the menu to launch". Hopefully this means it can be corrected.
TheBang

Post by TheBang »

wyldphyre wrote:I think the fact that the primary remaining way to drag (in Tiger at least), via the icon, causes the menu to launch, indicates that the behaviour we are seeing is not what was intended by the developers, since it seems it would be silly to say "you must drag from here, but if you do so you will also cause the menu to launch". Hopefully this means it can be corrected.
Well, if you drag by the icon in Leopard, it also pops the menu when you release the button, so at least that's consistent (if bad). But the problem is in Leopard you can click almost anywhere to drag, but with Tiger, you can only drag by the icon or a very small space around the icon.