Download maxes out around 230 kb/s

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
poil66

Download maxes out around 230 kb/s

Post by poil66 »

I am using version 1.50 (7886) of transmission with Mac OSX 10.5.6. I am using a cable modem and i have done lots of speed tests and i am always in the 7 - 10 mb range. I have tried the free ISP test and that all said that my isp was not interfering in any way. I am not using any speed limiters. Peer listening port is open. I have my settings set to allow transmission incoming connections. And I can never get above around 230kb. I have tried with numerous torrents. If I am downloading 5 things, lets say one is going 100kb and the rest are something like, 20-30, always totalling around 230. Then when the 100kb speed one finishes, one of the slower torrents will immediately speed up so that again the total is around 230. It is really acting like i have a bandwidth limiter on but i really dont, at least not that i can see. The only other strange thing was that since i opened up the peer listening port, transmission will occasionally stop altogether, but its starts up again a few seconds later. Also, when it first starts up again, it will often have speeds of like 1 meg or more, but then it settles down to 200. Again, making me think there is some kind of limiter thing going on. Is there some other setting which limits speed other than in the transmission preferences? or any other idea what could be causing this?
thanks
Last edited by poil66 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unisphere

Re: Download maxes out around 230 kb/s

Post by unisphere »

this sounds like something similar to what i've been experiencing: http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=7070
try trashing your application support folder and see if that fixes it (this will reset/remove any active uploads/downloads, so make sure you have the original torrent files to re-add).
poil66

Post by poil66 »

yeah, i had read that thread ... im not sure thats whats going on
dlp

Post by dlp »

I wish I could get a steady 230 KB/s download speed from T. (You did mean kilobytes -- right?) Using the nearest server, http://www.speedtest.net/ shows I average roughly 700 KB/s, yet even with torrents that have, say, as much as a 1:2 seeder/leecher ratio and plenty of participants, I usually see less than 100 KB/s with both my down and upload speeds uncorked.

I, too, am using 1.50 on OSX 10.5.6 and have run the ISP test you mention. My ISP (Time Warner/Roadrunner) passed with flying colors.

Note: Edited 2/16 at 2131 EST to correct some boneheaded errors.
poil66

Post by poil66 »

yeah, kilobytes, my bandwidth is 7 to 10 megabits, so i should be getting at least close to 1 megabyte download speeds i think
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

poil66: try going through the steps at http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/SlowSpeeds; that might help uncover what the problem is.

Since it sounds like you're seeing the same max speed most of the time, I'd give particular attention to items #4 and #6... but if those aren't the problem, the next step would be to go through the rest of the list
dlp

Post by dlp »

Note to others: Clicking the link Jordan gave will yield "Not found" because it picks up the semicolon at the end -- trim that off.

I don't think I have any of the problems described there, but I'm going from memory now and still have some things to learn about T and torrents in general. So I'll reserve judgment until I have something more definitive to say.
mikaelaustin

Post by mikaelaustin »

if i could get anywhere near that speed i'd be doing back flips not complaining. what internet provider do you use and what country are you in? maybe it's time for me to move!
essiw

Post by essiw »

mikaelaustin wrote:if i could get anywhere near that speed i'd be doing back flips not complaining. what internet provider do you use and what country are you in? maybe it's time for me to move!
euh.. 230KB is kind of slow. I have 800KB/s and it is normal here... (The netherlands)
wastedstrokes

Post by wastedstrokes »

mikaelaustin wrote:if i could get anywhere near that speed i'd be doing back flips not complaining. what internet provider do you use and what country are you in? maybe it's time for me to move!
I'm getting 2.4 MB/s (Big B) (Total for all torrents, but can sometimes get that on a single torrent from a private tracker with extremely high seed to leecher ratios). Gotta love FIOS!
As to the original poster, are you getting 230kb/s total, or on a single torrent? If you open a lot at one time, giving it a couple minutes to connect enough seeders, can you get higher over all?