Weird downloads and speeds

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
ruimoura

Weird downloads and speeds

Post by ruimoura »

Hi.

I'm using transmission (updated) on a Macbook with 3G usb (huawei e170), on a 3,6Mbps connection, and i'm having some trouble getting a stable connection.

For the *same* torrent, if i use other torrent client (vuze, utorrent, whatever) i get a stable speed, like 350Kb/sec, limited to 10Kb/sec of upload, and it goes smoothly and doesn´t affect my system.

With transmission, the download speed is always jumping like crazy from 50Kb/sec to 300Kb/sec, and so on, allways going up and down, and worst, i almost stay without internet connection on the system, webpages get really slow or don´t open at all.

If i try to download the same torrent over wifi it works well, but with my usb 3G modem connected it acts this strange way (i can download fine with other torrent clients, as i've said before).

Is there some kind of problem with transmission and 3G usb modems (pppoe connections)?

Thanks in advance.
essiw

Re: Weird downloads and speeds

Post by essiw »

limit your upload speed also in Transmission. What also could be the problem is that there are to many connections (set the amount of 200 to 100) If that doesn't help try to disable PEX (use this as a last resort) this has also helped some people
Rolcol

Re: Weird downloads and speeds

Post by Rolcol »

µtorrent averages your speed so even if your connection is closed, µtorrent will still show a connection as it averages the 0 into the speed. Transmission tells you the exact speed when it refreshed the interface. I haven't used Vuze to see if it also does it.