Running Transmission as daemon using Lingon?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
citydude

Running Transmission as daemon using Lingon?

Post by citydude »

I found some outdated (or just overly complicated for my taste) information about running Transmission as a daemon, but I am curious if there is a way to run the current version of Transmission as a daemon simply by using Lingon. I would prefer not to have to compile the Transmission source directly but instead simply run it from inside the Transmission.app package. I have tried creating a launch daemon entry in Lingon but it seems I can only start the item (using launchctl load) when there is a user logged in, and I would prefer it runs even when there are no users logged in.

Has anyone tackled this lately?
Waldorf

Re: Running Transmission as daemon using Lingon?

Post by Waldorf »

I tried this once. But you'll need to compile the daemon from source, but especially on the mac this is very easy.

Then just either install the daemon in a default place, or where-ever you want it, and enter that as the executable lingon (launchd). Do make sure you add it to 'Users Daemons' not as an 'Agent'. That way it'll run even if you aren't logged in.

Of course, the set back is that the daemon won't read the mac gui settings. So you do need to check out the man pages and wiki for more detailed information.