Transmission takes forever to quit

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
sudokelhpruh

Transmission takes forever to quit

Post by sudokelhpruh »

I'm running Leopard 10.5.6 on a Macbook Pro. Transmission 1.6x takes at least 30 seconds to quit every time, longer if there's 20+ torrents running. Is this normal? Not a huge deal, but definitely annoying.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission takes forever to quit

Post by livings124 »

Nothing we can do, trackers need to be contacted.
Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

You might try stopping all the torrents, then wait a minute or so before quitting. That seems to work for me.
essiw

Post by essiw »

Weaselboy wrote:You might try stopping all the torrents, then wait a minute or so before quitting. That seems to work for me.
why would you do that? the time you spend stopping the torrents and waiting to quit takes longer then just quiting it and waiting for it to quit.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

essiw wrote:why would you do that? the time you spend stopping the torrents and waiting to quit takes longer then just quiting it and waiting for it to quit.
Lets say some of us prefer to do that.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

That is a pretty pointless suggestion.
rankybanton

Post by rankybanton »

livings124 wrote:Nothing we can do, trackers need to be contacted.
So.. has anyone contacted the trackers yet? :-P

Is this problem really only bothering FOUR Mac users??

Force-quitting works for me, but on the next start-up Transmission has to do "check existing file(s)" all over again, and that bogs my system down for as long as 3 minutes.

Does any other BitTorrent client take so long to quit?
cheule

Post by cheule »

livings124 wrote:That is a pretty pointless suggestion.
I understand where you are coming from, but I can also see why the two posters previous feel that stopping the transfers first, then quitting is actually a better idea. Here's why: If you simply quit Transmission, then the app could remain unresponsive for 3-4 minutes (I've seen it happen personally.) This is a problem if you are in the middle of a OS X restart cycle, as the OS gives up after a min or two and then stops restarting.

On the other hand, if you stop the transfers manually before quitting the app, then you have a responsive app still, that will give you feedback as to exactly when the communications have closed. Then when you restart the OS, everything goes swimmingly.

So yes, there is are fundamental differences between simply quitting the app, and shutting the transfers down first and then quitting it. In fact, if an app is potentially going to "hang" for minutes on end on a quit cycle, wouldn't it behoove us to have a dialogue box or something of that sort that says "Please wait while closing down communication." I can see how the uninitiated would see such a long app closure as evidence of some sort of problem.

(edited by moderator)
Last edited by cheule on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

I see no use in this feature other than adding bloat to the interface. We will gladly take patches if you are volunteering.
rankybanton

Post by rankybanton »

What about just sneaking in a little check-box option to automatically pause all transfers on quit/resume all on start?

Could that be a temporary workaround? ...without bloat?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

It does automatically pause all transfers on quit. This is automatic.
mattburn

Post by mattburn »

I'm having a similiar problem, I have 10-15 torrents up on trans (mainly finished torrents I leave up for uploading purposes) and when I add a new torrent to start downloading, transmission freezes for a couple min, becomes unfrozen, and freezes again. When transmission unfreezes itself, it will start to download for about 20sec and then will become frozen again (this usually lasts a little longer than the first time it freezes). In the brief 20sec transmission unfreezes itself I hit pause all torrents. I then have to quit transmission (which takes anywhere from 5-10min) and restart my comp before transmission starts working properly again. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

New Macbook 15.5"
Mac OS X 10.5
mattburn

Post by mattburn »

Transmission also freezes if I start downloading 3-4 new torrents at a time, downloading at a rate of 1.0mb to 2.0mb. I usually have to wait to pause all torrents and restart transmission. I've been reading on the board about nightly builds. Sorry for being the rookie on the forum but how exactly does that work? I do however update Transmission everytime a new version comes out but that isn't helping my problem. Please explain to me how I do this "nightly build" so hopefully it takes care of any bug I may have on transmission. Thanks
cyclosity

Post by cyclosity »

I'm confused. What can I do to make it stop happening? Transmission always takes 3+ minutes to finally quit on my computer and always interrupts shutting down, etc.
avpro

Post by avpro »

Worse than taking forever to quit is the fact that Transmission has had crash on quit problems for some time now.

I can verify that a hang on quit problem has existed since v1.8 and is not corrected by build (1.91r10344). I have been complaining about this for months now with no help forthcoming. I have 100% failure to quit every time I try to exit Transmission. No one here seems to understand what needing to force quit and what (not responding) means in the Mac "Force Quit Applications" window. What it means is that the application has crashed! The last version which quits successfully on my system, after a "normal" wait, is v1.76. How about some attention to this issue... support guys... or is this forum pretty much useless?