Fast downloading on Transmission 1.72 = beach ball freeze

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
roderick

Fast downloading on Transmission 1.72 = beach ball freeze

Post by roderick »

My ISP just doubled the internet speed so Transmission is downloading between 1-2 mb/s. This seems to be causing Transmission to act sluggish and I get the spinning beach ball a lot. Is transmission just not capable of downloading that fast? Also in the tab menu the set download speed stops at 750 kb - I need it to go to about 1.5 mb. Thanks!
Ryoujin

Re: Fast downloading on Transmission 1.72 = beach ball freeze

Post by Ryoujin »

What OS version and Transmission build are you using? I'm guessing you already tried the latest Nightly Build?
roderick

Post by roderick »

Using Leopard 10.5.7 and Transmission 1.72 - I will try the nightly.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

The build is the number in parenthesis that when you go to Transmission > About Transmission.
roderick

Post by roderick »

payeco

Post by payeco »

I have this same problem. In fact, I've been having this same issue since I first started using Transmission as my main torrent client on a daily basis back in the 1.4x days.

I've noticed a few things in particular about this problem:
  • It only seems to happen when I am downloading at or above a certain speed range. I have a 25 megabit connection and when the download speeds go above ~1.2-1.5 megabytes a second this system will lock up after about 30 seconds to 1 minute with the beach ball, etc.
  • It only seems to happen when there are many smaller files and the torrent is above a certain size. For instance, if I am downloading 4.4GB torrent which has been split up into smaller files of ~50MB in size the lock ups occur. If I was downloading one large 4.4GB file I don't have the issue. The issue seems to happen with any torrent over 700MB-1GB split into smaller files.
  • Once I've been forced to do a hard reboot because of the lockup, I usually have to delete all the data that had completed downloading so far and start over or I will immediately get another lockup when the torrent resumes download. Sometimes it will resume OK but this seems dependent the size of the torrent.
  • Usually after I've been forced to reboot because of one of these lockups, I will have to allow Transmission to be the only app running if I want one of these large torrents to complete without totally locking the system back up, and even when I allow that you can still see that Transmission itself is constantly temporarily locking up because the interface will become completely unresponsive for 5-10 seconds, then resume for a few seconds and then lockup again in a cycle until the transfer completes.
I'm using a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, 120GB 7200RPM hard disk running 10.5.7 with all the latest updates. I've tried stable and nightly builds dating back to the 1.4x days and this has been a consistent problem for months. I also do not have this issue with any other torrent clients. I've tried utorrent, both the native and the Windows version running under WINE, Azureus/Vuze, etc. Transmission is the only torrent software that locks up the system.