Why is Transmission creating files I've skipped?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mikebell

Why is Transmission creating files I've skipped?

Post by mikebell »

I have limited space on my HDD and when I just tried to download a single file out of a collection of 10 files, it created 3 files on disk I DID NOT SELECT! I just selected one small file, not 3 1Gb files. Ugh... why is stuff like this still present in 1.7.x software? How do I get it to create only the files I want to download? :( :( :( :(
mikebell

Re: Why is Transmission creating files I've skipped?

Post by mikebell »

sigh... I'll try some Windows bittorrent client then because I don't have 10Gb of space and I just want PDFs that are 10Mb in total.
jetak

Post by jetak »

I am having the exact same problem. I am trying to download a file that is >1Mb out of a total torrent size of 6Gb. I have limited storage space and Transmission (1.91 (10268)) is trying to create room for the large 6Gb file that I did not select. I then get 'Error: no room left of device'. All I want is the single small file. If Transmission needs to download a small chunk of the other files for the checksum, it does not need to try and allocate a large chunk of disk space, it should just allocate the space needed for the small chunk.
Sodomy

Post by Sodomy »

Transmission has always done this. If you only download one file from a multi-file torrent, it'd create the file in front of the one you want, and allocate the full space that file needs even though most of that memory won't be needed. Yes, it is quite annoying.
sn00ze

Post by sn00ze »

it doesn't actually download the whole file right?
I noticed it doing this but only a fraction of the files before and after would be downloaded