transmission won't quit and won't let me restart my computer

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mixtape

transmission won't quit and won't let me restart my computer

Post by mixtape »

Transmission won't let me quit the program, even force quit, and when I try to restart or shut down my computer I get a message saying that Transmission has blocked it from restarting. What is up with that? It started happening right after I said no to a pop up that requested a donation. So fishy. I don't like this at all. 
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: transmission won't quit and won't let me restart my computer

Post by livings124 »

Did it say "quitting" in the dock, as in contacting trackers before terminating?
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

No, it doesn't say anything in the dock. It just beeps when I try to force quit and when I try to restart it says "the application Transmission canceled restart, try quitting transmission and try again." I have paused all transfers but it doesn't make a difference either way.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

It might be worth noting also that when I run Transmission at my boyfriend's house, the wireless stops working for both my macbook and his pc. Although my transfers continue, neither of us can view websites. It doesn't cause this problem at my house.
alvareo

Post by alvareo »

So this bug has been present for at least seven years. That's probably a record
bythewaybtw

Post by bythewaybtw »

Yyyyyep. Registered for this forum TODAY specifically to address this exact issue, so let me just reconfirm this is STILL happening. We should not have to go into any external app to close out a troublesome app; this bug needs to be fixed from within, once and for all.
Rayto

Post by Rayto »

Given all of the diagnostics that are available one would think this issue would have been solved long ago. Guess not. I could not quit Transmission, force quit Transmission using the Apple menu, the task bar contextual menu or Activity Monitor. I can't restart the Mac nor shutdown the Mac. All the while I get a spinning balls that's been spinning for a half hour. Finally solved the issue by unprotecting apps that are running and trashing the .app file. Transmission will not be reinstalled.

Guess its back to Deluge. Ugly but works. This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've tried Transmission and this is always the killer that sends me back to other BT clients. Nice interface, be nice if it worked.
eMeanie

Post by eMeanie »

Try pausing all transfers before quitting transmission. I was having the same problem and that worked for me.