Announce not scheduled

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
lopoz

Announce not scheduled

Post by lopoz »

Hello,

Lately I'm having a problem with Transmission. It takes forever to do the first announce. It just hangs on "Announce not scheduled".
I've been using the official 1.92, and some of the latest nightlies (now on r10427).

Sorry if this is a known issue. I did a forum search, but nothing turned up..

If more info is needed, please let me know.

[edit]
Adding a tracker makes the announce happen instantly.
greenythebeast

Re: Announce not scheduled

Post by greenythebeast »

I am also having this problem with Transmission 1.92. It takes forever for the first announce to happen. I have to pause and restart several times before anything happens. Also, is there a way to specify the announce interval? I'd like to set an announce interval that is less than 30 minutes. Thanks for your help.
lopoz

Post by lopoz »

Same for v2.0.1.. The port checker in the Preferences is giving me the green light, so I have no idea what's causing the problem..
I'm looking at a torrent with 8 trackers, all on "Announce not scheduled", for about 15 minutes now.

Strange that not one dev will comment on this issue.. Even just what the message means and why it's 'not scheduling the announcement'.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I'm having this problem with 2.04, all 6 of my torrents trackers say "Last Announce: N/A", "Announce not scheduled", and "Last Scrape: N/A"
lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita »

Similar problem here following a crash. Tried clearing my preferences folder totally and restarting, won't schedule announces for any new torrents, or old ones if I re-add them.
speckay

Post by speckay »

Any chance there's a fix? I'm having the same issue...
lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita »

I dumped all my Library files and downloaded the latest version. Then I reloaded all my torrents (a real pain - over 700 of them) and after working for a few days, I now have the same problem again. This is very discouraging. :(

Btw the only thing that worked to get the torrents announcing again last time I had this problem (last week) was completely dumping the Library files and starting with a fresh install. I have not experienced a crash of Transmission or my system and both Vuze and uTorrent run fine.

I also tried setting up a new user account on my system and launching Transmission for the first time as that user, hence all new Library, Prefs etc -- but encountered the same problem. Shows torrents as downloading/seeding but with no announcements.

I'm sorry to say that the last few releases of Transmission have always caused a problem for me and I was using 1.9 before my trouble last week because I am wary of new builds.

I really hope you folks are able to sort this out as you were the best client for OS X until recently.

Any advice much appreciated.

* Further update. After re-starting T and leaving it running for almost 2 hours it is now scheduling announces, though I'm not getting any traffic yet.

**After 3 hours I am connecting with peers, but not the normal traffic I would expect yet
purehatred24

Post by purehatred24 »

I am facing the same issue as other users.

Ever since about a couple weeks ago, transmission has not been allowing trackers to announce upon start up of the app and under open ports. The tracker will usually correct itself within 30 minutes or so, but it should announce instantaneously.

I tried to mend the problem by uninstalling the application with appzapper, and reinstalling to no avail. I also tried to manually input the trackers in the client to no success.

I recently downloaded uTorrent, and have been very upset with it for its slowness. But, I really cannot complain since it actually works! Transmission was the best torrent client for a long while, and I hope that they fix this upset.
lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita »

x190 wrote: Just what is Transmission supposed to do about tracker sites that are down or not responding? :?
Perhaps it was not clear from my post that when I say uTorrent and Vuze are running fine, I mean they will run the same torrents to the same trackers immediately and without any problem. This is not a tracker related issue, it's an announcement-scheduling issue in Transmission and more than one person is experiencing it. Some users may not even notice it's happening as all torrents show green/seeding etc so unless you are looking at your speeds etc you won't notice that the torrents aren't announcing.

Thanks
purehatred24

Post by purehatred24 »

"Are limits set in Prefs>Transfers>Management>Queues?"

No.

"Are all torrents resumed?"

Yes.

"Do you have 0 values set in any Global, Speed Limit, or per-torrent bandwidth settings?"

Yes, but are not check marked.

"return fStat.isBackup ? NSLocalizedString(@"Tracker will be used as a backup", "Tracker next announce")
: NSLocalizedString(@"Announce not scheduled", "Tracker next announce");"

No clue what you mean here. Please include a tutorial.
lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita »

Hi.

Are limits set in Prefs>Transfers>Management>Queues?

>>> no.

Are all torrents resumed.

>>> yes

Do you have 0 values set in any Global, Speed Limit, or per-torrent bandwidth settings?
Private tracker?

>>> no

Also not sure what the string below is supposed to ask. Please note that T starting working for me again about 3 hours after a restart. However I'm still re-adding torrents from my last failure, and dreading it happening again. There is something worth looking at here.

Thanks. :D

case TR_TRACKER_INACTIVE:
return fStat.isBackup ? NSLocalizedString(@"Tracker will be used as a backup", "Tracker next announce")
: NSLocalizedString(@"Announce not scheduled", "Tracker next announce");
[/quote]
coreymon77

Post by coreymon77 »

I have been having this same problem. For the past while, when I first open transmission, all torrents take at least 30 minutes, if not longer, to first announce to the tracker. Once that first announce happens, then everything works fine and new torrents added announce immediately until I close transmission. At first, it gives me that same "announce not scheduled" message that everyone else gets.

I know that this is not a tracker issue, but rather an issue with transmission because: A. This happens with all trackers, not just particular ones. Every single torrent I have tried from every single tracker I have tried gives me this issue and B. Because using the same exact torrents on utorrent does not cause this problem, utorrent announces immediately and does not have this issue.

This leads me to believe that the problem is related to transmission rather than to torrent, tracker or ISP/firewall problems.

Does anyone know what is going on. As of yet, transmission is still a superior client to the mac version of utorrent, but I can't use transmission if it refuses to announce.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Could the people experiencing this please test a nightly trunk build from http://build.transmissionbt.com/ with revision 11448 or higher? I think this may solve the "announce not scheduled" problem and I'd like to get some user feedback on it.
coreymon77

Post by coreymon77 »

Charles wrote:Could the people experiencing this please test a nightly trunk build from http://build.transmissionbt.com/ with revision 11448 or higher? I think this may solve the "announce not scheduled" problem and I'd like to get some user feedback on it.
I installed the 11448 version from that link and it didn't fix anything at all. I still get the same "announce not scheduled" problem as before.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

hmm...

stupid question(s), (1) is the torrent paused? (2) did you get an http error from the tracker? (3) could you mail me (jordan at tran...bt.com) a screenshot of the tracker tab?