Multiple Network Support

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
bdfortin

Multiple Network Support

Post by bdfortin »

Right now I have two networks at home: My slower (but free) DSL, connected via AirPort, and my faster cable, connected via Ethernet.

Unfortunately OS X doesn't use both interfaces simultaneously, and chooses which interface to use based on the service order set in the Network Preferences pane. Currently, the only way I've figured out how to use both at the same time is to have a VM running that uses the secondary interface as its own network interface, but that's horribly inefficient.

Is there a way Transmission could take advantage of multiple network interfaces?

I can connect to the web interface from either network, so I assume that means it's possible to at least accept connections from either interface. Not sure if that means you'd be able to initiate connections on either interface, but if it's just a matter of specifying which output interface(s) to use then I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

I imagine the peers for each interface would have to be kept separate so that Transmission doesn't try to communicate to peers on the wrong interface, although I suppose DHT and PEX could work across the interfaces. Different ports could be specified for each interface, if necessary, along with most other settings. The interface settings could be separated similar to how location settings are separated in the Network Preferences pane, with a drop-down list at the top of the pane.

What say you, Transmission devs?