Selection of files for downloading

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
nezhalsky

Selection of files for downloading

Post by nezhalsky »

When adding a new torrent download, the program suggests to me that I can select files to download. When I choose some files to download, Transmission begin to download all files. Tell me why?

Thank You.
Rolcol

Re: Selection of files for downloading

Post by Rolcol »

I don't know how extensive your knowledge of the Bittorrent protocol is, so I'll assume you're a beginner.

Bittorrent shares by breaking up all the files into smaller chunks called "pieces". Each piece is scanned, run through an algorithm, and the result is stored in the .torrent file. When you download the .torrent file, you're downloading the results of the piece scans and instructions on how they're put together to make the files on your computer. The original files don't fit nicely inside the pieces. If the pieces are big enough, more than one file can be in a piece. Transmission has to download the full piece so that it check that what you've downloaded is correct. If another file starts in the middle of that piece, Transmission needs to write out the full data it has downloaded to verify the integrity of the data and for seeding later.

Transmission will try to honor your selection of wanted files but it may create some unselected files out of necessity. Don't worry, it doesn't download the full data of the unwanted files unless they're small enough to fit inside the piece entirely.

There's a ticket that would put the rest of the pieces in one single file, but it isn't high priority.
nezhalsky

Post by nezhalsky »

Thanks for the reply brother, but not quite what I was asking :-)
The problem is: I downloaded the torrent file with the album MP3 files. I open the torrent in Transmission and it told me offers to select files of the album for download. For example 1.mp3, 2.mp3, 3.mp3 and so on (I need to put a check which files I want to download). If I select only some files of the album for download, the program loads still completely whole album. This is wrong.
I had to qtorrent on Windows and with him was not like this. He could only download what I need. That is not necessarily had to download the all album 1.5 Gb if I needed from this only 3 songs.
nezhalsky

Post by nezhalsky »

Strangely enough, I want to download just the maps of my country, select these files but it starts to start all 8,5 Gb