Status Bar color

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
.Neo

Re: Status Bar color

Post by .Neo »

Using the latest nightly build and it looks great. Relatively small modification, but big difference in appearance! Thanks for not turning Transmission into Camino, the application that is still stuck in 2002 interface-wise.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

In case anyone wants to know this is what Transmission looks like running on Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 1:

Not perfect, but pretty decent I have to say. :) If the devs want me to test anything specific let me know.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Are those toolbar icons the default icons?
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

No I've changed those. Mac OS X Lion doesn't change third-party icons, toolbar buttons and symbols. It's a pretty amazing upgrade from Snow Leopard, but not that magical I'm afraid. :lol:
VorteX

Post by VorteX »

This is what it looks like in the GM with the default icons. Pretty darn beautiful:

livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

The next release will fix the weird "Ratio:" black color that doesn't match the other text.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

An option to hide the Status Bar (the bottom one) to be in line with many Mac OS X Lion applications would be nice as well.

Is there any word on adding some animations to the transfer view? You asked for an open-source example of this: Adium. For a Mac OS X Leopard and above application Transmission seems a bit static in this area.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

I don't believe hiding the bottom bar will be added. I don't believe leaving it there bloats anything.

What type of animations would you suggest?
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

livings124 wrote:What type of animations would you suggest?
Definitely downloads sliding around similar to iChat/Adium. Many applications in Mac OS X Lion utilize at least some in-window animations and Transmission feels a bit dated in this regard.

I was wondering if it was possible to add a nice (optional mind you) download bar to the Dock icon where the overall progress is being displayed. Or does Apple uses some custom API for that? Just thought it would be nice to have a small blue progress bar in there styled the same way as the App Store.

I also noticed a mask issue when dropping a file onto the main Transmission window (the corners). Xtorrent limits the dark overlay to the download area of the window, excluding the window chrome. At least it did just before I dumped it for Transmission.

These changes aren't anything radical but it might freshen things up a bit. :) Overall I'm very satisfied with Transmission's appearance on Mac OS X Lion.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

.Neo wrote:
livings124 wrote:What type of animations would you suggest?
Definitely downloads sliding around similar to iChat/Adium. Many applications in Mac OS X Lion utilize at least some in-window animations and Transmission feels a bit dated in this regard.
I do not know of any other apps that do this.
.Neo wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to add a nice (optional mind you) download bar to the Dock icon where the overall progress is being displayed. Or does Apple uses some custom API for that? Just thought it would be nice to have a small blue progress bar in there styled the same way as the App Store.
How would it show progress for multiple files? The docks already crowded enough with badges imho.
.Neo wrote:I also noticed a mask issue when dropping a file onto the main Transmission window (the corners). Xtorrent limits the dark overlay to the download area of the window, excluding the window chrome. At least it did just before I dumped it for Transmission.
I don't see any big deal with including the whole window.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

livings124 wrote:I do not know of any other apps that do this.
A while ago you asked for an example of an open-source application that has the iChat sliding effect so you could look into it: Well here it is, you can look at Adium for it. Not sure what you mean with "I do not know any other apps that do this". Mail, Safari, iChat, iCal, Transmit, Adium, CandyBar etc. all incorporate animations in Mac OS X Lion and others even before that.
livings124 wrote:How would it show progress for multiple files? The docks already crowded enough with badges imho.
It would show the overall progress. Personally I don't see much need in knowing my bandwidth all the time, but I'd like it if I could see the overall download progress at a glance.
livings124 wrote:I don't see any big deal with including the whole window.
Who was said anything about this being a "big deal"? I was just asking that at the very least the masks could be adjusted so it doesn't have square corners sticking out. If that's hard you could considering going Xtorrent's way and only include the content area of the window.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

.Neo wrote:
livings124 wrote:I do not know of any other apps that do this.
A while ago you asked for an example of an open-source application that has the iChat sliding effect so you could look into it: Well here it is, you can look at Adium for it. Not sure what you mean with "I do not know any other apps that do this". Mail, Safari, iChat, iCal, Transmit, Adium, CandyBar etc. all incorporate animations in Mac OS X Lion and others even before that.
I've only seen iChat actually perform sliding animations.
.Neo wrote:
livings124 wrote:How would it show progress for multiple files? The docks already crowded enough with badges imho.
It would show the overall progress. Personally I don't see much need in knowing my bandwidth all the time, but I'd like it if I could see the overall download progress at a glance.
This is still one-too-many badges.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

livings124 wrote:I've only seen iChat actually perform sliding animations.
I don't see your point really. To clear things up, I was talking about in-app animations in general not just/specifically the sliding animation seen in iChat: Many Mac OS X Lion applications utilize some form window animations (Safari, Mail, iCal, iChat, Finder to name a few). You also might be interested to learn that list items now slide around in Mac OS X Lion: Try dragging system languages around in System Preferences > Language & Text > Language for example.

In any case it would be nice if Transmission received a smooth in-app animation similar to iChat and Adium.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

The trunk already animates filtering of the messages window and info file window.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

Messages window?