Add the ability to change piece size

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
aarohead

Add the ability to change piece size

Post by aarohead »

I am often uploading identical torrents to different trackers and sometimes run into the issue of having to change the piece size so that Transmission will let me add an identical torrent. I am currently working around this by using the clunky torrent creation of uTorrent Mac, changing the piece size to something different, and going back to add the torrent to Transmission. This does what I am trying to do, but it could definitely be more streamlined. I would really appreciate maybe just a drop down menu for piece size in the Transmission "Create Torrent File..." screen. It would make this perfect client even better :) Thank you for all the hard work!

-aa
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Add the ability to change piece size

Post by Jordan »

If there was a good use case for changing the piece size based on its own merits then maybe streamlining would make sense, but for this specific case it's a hack anyway... you're trying to change the sha1 checksum of the info dict, and it's true that you can do that by changing the piece size, but that also can make the swarm behavior suboptimal.

IMO a less-bad hack would be to add a small info.txt file in the folder to change the file list, in turn changing the info dict.
aarohead

Post by aarohead »

I did that for awhile but didn't want it to feel like spam. I suppose for the sake of the swarm I can just add an info.txt file to each new torrent with the file list. Its still much more streamlined than the uTorrent workaround. Thanks!
transm_user

Post by transm_user »