Two things

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mikaelgrev

Two things

Post by mikaelgrev »

Hello, and thanks for a really great app!

It's just two thinks that bug me and I though I'd share that.

1) I store/move the downloaded files on a NAS mounted with bonjour on a Mac. The temp folder is on the local disc of course. However, if the NAS isn't mounted Transmission creates a folder under /Volumes with the same name as the NAS and stores the files there instead, and it does this silently. This is quite annoying since I then have to manually have to copy those files to the correct place. OS X has the tendency to drop bonjour connected drives every now and then so this happens quite frequently. It would be great if Transmission tried to mount the drive, or at least gave some kind of warning/option instead of just silently creating the folder.

2) Transmission doesn't seem to be properly threaded. For instance, when it copies the files from the temporary folder to the NAS (when the file has been downloaded) this will freeze the GUI for the whole duration of the copy. Since I can download 20GB files this takes a couple of minutes and Transmission can't be used during this.

You might say that one should have the temp folder on the same disc but that wouldn't be doable for me since I use a NAS and don't want the BT chatter over the network.

I am using the latest version on a Mac Mini.

Anyway, thanks for listening and thanks for a great app!

Cheers,
Mikael
Rolcol

Re: Two things

Post by Rolcol »

In my opinion: 1) The Operating System should handle the issues with mounting. Creating folders in /Volumes is completely acceptable in Linux or other OSs.

2) There's a ticket to create an IO thread, but, due to it's complexity, it's been pushed around since other features/bugs have taken priority.