Why drop support for powerpc macs?

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Why drop support for powerpc macs?

Post by livings124 »

Unfortunately Sparkle doesn't let us specify the allowed architecture, so we had no choice but to put this out to all >= 10.5 users with a warning for PPC users. You can set it to ignore the current version, and once we drop 10.5 it should stop popping up all together.
Pij

Post by Pij »

Perhaps a new sub-section could be started here on the forum, specifically for PPC and older OS's?
meir

Post by meir »

I am sorry but what Sparkle has to do with TransmissionBT? I mean I read about it on website and it is update related framework... How is it reflecting on TransmissionTB for PPC? PPC doesn't have to have automatic, convenient-self-updating transmission. We can always update good old way, just by downloading it from website.

Or am I missing something?
CyberSkull

Post by CyberSkull »

meir wrote:I am sorry but what Sparkle has to do with TransmissionBT? I mean I read about it on website and it is update related framework... How is it reflecting on TransmissionTB for PPC? PPC doesn't have to have automatic, convenient-self-updating transmission. We can always update good old way, just by downloading it from website.

Yep. Sparkle is a framework that allows an application to download a new version and update itself. One of the issues is that Sparkle doesn't have a facility for detecting when the client being updated can't run the new version. So some people ran the update and suddenly found themselves with a version that doesn't work because of the new Intel-only policy. And it is just aggravating to be told of an update you can't use anyways.
douglasm

Post by douglasm »

Of course, doubtless, it is an awful and crazy decision. Heh, even Transmission team decided to ditch the OSX/PowerPC architecture.

But, guys... OS X is no way out for us, PowerPC users. Apple kicked us 5 years ago, switching to "mainstream" windows-compatible x86 architecture. There's a better option for us who will **NEVER** buy x86 machine: to switch to GNU/Linux operating system. It is really great, much much much better than now-single-architecture OS X.
meir

Post by meir »

CyberSkull wrote:
meir wrote:I am sorry but what Sparkle has to do with TransmissionBT? I mean I read about it on website and it is update related framework... How is it reflecting on TransmissionTB for PPC? PPC doesn't have to have automatic, convenient-self-updating transmission. We can always update good old way, just by downloading it from website.

Yep. Sparkle is a framework that allows an application to download a new version and update itself. One of the issues is that Sparkle doesn't have a facility for detecting when the client being updated can't run the new version. So some people ran the update and suddenly found themselves with a version that doesn't work because of the new Intel-only policy. And it is just aggravating to be told of an update you can't use anyways.
I understand, but how hard is it to make and maintain separate PowerPC version without Sparkle?
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

meir wrote:
CyberSkull wrote:

I understand, but how hard is it to make and maintain separate PowerPC version without Sparkle?
Sparkle isn't the reason PPC support was dropped. Sparkle is the reason that PPC users are still being given the option to upgrade to the latest versions. PPC support on OS X is gone, and is not coming back.
fogger

Post by fogger »

John Clay wrote:
meir wrote:I understand, but how hard is it to make and maintain separate PowerPC version without Sparkle?
Sparkle isn't the reason PPC support was dropped. Sparkle is the reason that PPC users are still being given the option to upgrade to the latest versions. PPC support on OS X is gone, and is not coming back.
Did you actually read what was suggested? Just recompile version 2.22 without the Sparkle library. Then PowerPC users just need to manually update to the Sparkle free version, and they'll never see another unnecessary update notification.

It's one thing to drop PowerPC support. But PowerPC users get reminded of this decision every time they get an update notification.
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

You can turn off automatic update checking in the preferences. Really no need to do a new build, just for turning that off by default.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I see no reason to go on supporting Leopard, yet callously drop PPC support. If there is no technical reason stopping you from compiling the code for PPC, then why stop? At least offer PPC updates until Leopard support is done with. PLEASE!
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Leopard support has already been dropped as of 2.50.
zen

Post by zen »

Only those locked into OS X on PowerPC are stuck at version 2.22. I have several PowerPC G4 towers and I run Lubuntu Linux on one of them which includes a modern updated Transmission. The newest Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail for PowerPC includes Transmission 2.77.

Transmission support of PowerPC is NOT dead. It's only dead on OS X.

The sad truth is that most computer users today only have basic pointy clicky skills and they don't even have the ability to look at options like Linux or BSD. The good news is that Lubuntu is extremely easy to install.

Here is a link for anyone interested in installing a modern and updated yet very fast performing OS on their PowerPC hardware. http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.ca/20 ... guide.html

There are still about 15+ Linux and 4 BSD distros fully developed for the architecture. These are the only options for PowerPC now where there is modern and secure code at both the OS and app level.