Better Encryption

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
jabakken

Better Encryption

Post by jabakken »

I have always used Transmission, but my school just started blocking torrent downloads and Transmission does not have adequate Encryption features to bypass this. I was recommended uTorrent and after turning on their encryption settings my download started immediately. Please make the Encryption features better so i can come back to Transmission.
r0n1n

Re: Better Encryption

Post by r0n1n »

Transmission uses RC4 encryption (the same encryption as µTorrent.). I'm surprised that µTorrent will connect to incoming peers. Because the mac version of µT only has the option of force encrypting outgoing connections.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

It's probably due to uTP, rather than the RC4 encryption which is identical in Transmission and uTorrent. For what it's worth, Transmission will be adding uTP support in 2.30.

However, if your school's policy is to ban BitTorrent, then do not use Transmission (or uTorrent) on your school's network. uTP exists to alleviate network congestion, not as a means to circumvent the subnet owner's policies.
jabakken

Post by jabakken »

I just downloaded the 2.30beta3 which says it has uTP support, but after enabling that, and setting the preferences to only connect to encrypted peers I still cannot download or even connect to peers. Meanwhile uTorrent speeds along after I force outgoing encrypted connections. Is there a Transmission equivalent?