Transmission 2.30 on Mac OS 10.4

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
thimk

Re: Transmission 2.30 on Mac OS 10.4

Post by thimk »

I launched the server from the html-file deep in the usr-folder.
Rudloff

Post by Rudloff »

That will only launch the interface and not the daemon which manages the torrents.
To run it properly you have to either :
  • In Transmission-Qt, go to transmission-qt > Preferences... > Web and check Enable web client, then click on Open web client.
    Or launch transmission-daemon from the terminal and then go to http://localhost:9091/ in your browser.
thimk

Post by thimk »

got ya. Sorry for not thinking, but just being, outside the box.
fate2012

Post by fate2012 »

Been at this for almost 24 solid hours after having to do a re-install of Mac OSX Tiger on my G4 PowerBook ALuminum 17" laptop, and then try to obtain old software lost becauase my kernel finally crashed? You won't believe how many people in the hundreds of millions on the net that simply don't provide enough info to obtain accurate troubleshoot data, but to get old software may require using shareware sites and thus requires a torrent app. To find a torrent app to work on this machine has taken me about 18 of these 24 solid hours... going nuts!

trying to get yours to work now

how come nowhere in the net does it say WHICH TRANSMISSION VERSION WORKS WITH WHAT MAC LET ALONE WHAT O/S LET ALONE WHAT SECURITY UPDATE etc. etc.

you are the first finally came across to see Mac still using Tiger, but now while the app seems to open unlike all the other Transmission (failed) version apps - your still won't begin the torrent file session

must be close to success but can you help me?

2004 Mac Powerbook G4 17inch Aluminum laptop loaded with 2GB Ram, 1.5Ghz, (non-Intel) with Tiger combo update

note: just did my re-install of the OS in April 2011, then updated the software, but have since about mid April disabled security updates because it scares the heck out of me to auto update anything whether PC or MAC these days

this is essentially a new computer in my opinion - it surfs great but needs some DJ music mixing software from years back that can only get by torrent, so then it can be designated in my entertainment room rather than tossed in the garbage

will your torrent app work on my comp.... so far got a lot farther with yours than all the other Transmission torrent app versions

why on Earth the developers for Transmission have not very accurately explained what versions work with what Mac setups is beyond me.... this goes for the whole web in terms of all the other torrent apps I have tried to no avail

your version sits in the dock, bounced around for a bit and then actually opened a couple application windows but not sure if works properly - this is way beyond the other versions that didn't even bounce at all let alone work (contrary to what it says on website that 10.4 should work) - 1.52 1.40 1.34 etc does not even bounce in the dock!
fate2012

Post by fate2012 »

also under these instructions: transmission-qt > Preferences... > Web and check Enable web client, then click on Open web client.

it won't let me check "enable web client"

greyed out
fate2012

Post by fate2012 »

ok so, tried to detect exactly what security update is contained within 10.4.11 Tiger combo update (mystery), and it doesn't look like anyone is around to answer, but took the chance to do that security update 2008-002 anyhow (even though Apple wants me to do the software 2009 security update - think it was lucky that auto updates were disabled) - and now at least the greyed out part is no longer greyed out

so now i can check "enable web client" - thanks to that post from Rudloff above May 23, 2011 9:27 am

hope doing this play by play actually helps someone in future

maybe things work from here on
fate2012

Post by fate2012 »

5 hours later... tried to upload the .torrent file several times and it gets 1% ways through (2 peers) then stops

says: error: no such file or directory (users/my name... ) almost like it is looking for a downloads folder?

did it again and again - same thing, and searched the net for wtf happened to my downloads folder - I never used such a thing

all my downloads goto my desktop like any other normal person has down for decades so has the peer things dropped me because there's nothing to offer or share back?

confused about why it gets anywhere from 1% to 9% finished and then stops with this error

using Warp Speed internet and paying $160/mo for this service

the torrent file opens, and goes into the application window pane - all looks fine for a while then peers disappear and now nothing for 2 hours?

the error always comes up: no such file or directory

is there supposed to be a downloads folder? what happens if we have Camino browser simply download things to desktop, and same with Safari

this all seems like great technology but why nobody though of the fact people download to their desktop.... i dunno but after 30 hours this is painful

the best so far has been 1GB of 11GB file downloaded and tried now several times - maybe nobody is around or the fact there's no download folder?
Rudloff

Post by Rudloff »

Did you check in the settings that Transmission is indeed downloading to your desktop ?
Also, I really recommend to install Mac OS 10.4.11.

PS : Please dont post multiple times like that and provide the complete error message (with full path).
Pij

Re: Transmission 2.31 on Mac OS 10.4

Post by Pij »

Rudloff wrote:Here is Transmission 2.31.
And here is the daemon.
Thanks for the 2.31. I'm now testing it on my PPC 10.4.1. It seems to run OK. I'd like to import my partial downloads and seeds from my previous version (Version 1.54 (8615)). Is there a way to do this?

(Request moved from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11860)

Is it a question of getting Transmission Qt to recognise /Library/Application Support/Transmission ? I don't know how to do that.
Last edited by Pij on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudloff

Post by Rudloff »

You can export the torrent files from the previous version and then open them in the new one.
(And specify the same download location of course.)
Pij

Post by Pij »

OK, thanks, I'll give that a try.

Edit: I have tried one torrent. From old Transmission version, I used "Save a Torrent Copy as" to export a torrent. Then I opened that torrent file in Transmission qt, and set the same location for the output file. The problem is that Transmission qt has not recognised that parts have already been downloaded, even when I used Verify Local Data. Where did I go wrong?
Pij

Post by Pij »

I've re-checked everything. I can only conclude that either (a)TransmissionQt does not recognise existing data, or (b) Verify Local Data doesn't work in this version. Or (c) I have f#2%^d up somewhere.

Cross-posting.

By "removing old resume files", do you mean delete/move my local data for the torrent(s) in question? That would be equivalent to "Transmission Qt cannot continue where you left off with your old version, so is only useful for new downloads, not existing ones."
Pij

Post by Pij »

OK, yes, but I was assuming TransmissionQt wasn't using those files, by the fact that it did not automatically use my esisting resume list. Can I point TransmissionQt to my old ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission data?
Pij

Post by Pij »

I seem to have found a little bug: After using the preferences pane once, then neither Preferences nor Quit are available to select from the Transmission-Qt menu.

edit: After a restart, one big improvement. Verify Local Data now works, so that means TransmissionQt will be useful for my unfinished downloads after all. There might or might not have been some partial data loss. However, the missing Preferences and Quit menu bug remains.
Pij

Post by Pij »

I tested for a while, then wanted to have a look at my downloads...

but...

They didn't exist in my incomplete downloads location, nor in my completed downloads location. I don't know where they went. I never found them.

So, having tested 2.31, I decided to test 2.30 briefly. The interesting thing was that 2.30 instantly took up the downloads where 2.31 had left off. That means 2.31 had saved the necessary resource files... somewhere..., and 2.30 knew where to look. Considering that neither version of TransmissionQt knew where to look for my Transmission OSX files, this illustrates that the Qt version stores its data in a different way, in a different location. Now, if I could find that location, there might be a chance of bulk-importing the whole lot from my old version.

I have found that the disappearing menus problem does not happen consistently. Odd.