Utilize Mac's Malware Protection

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
kevinobies

Utilize Mac's Malware Protection

Post by kevinobies »

Dear Developers of Transmission,

Lets be clear, the recent firestorm about the whole trojan/malware Mac Guard/Protection thing was way over blown.

But I couldn't but notice, on every tech site that reported the news about the malware/virus, they would almost always provide details about the built-in anti-virus in the Mac OS. They also mentioned that it doesn't scan BitTorrents - only Safari, Mail, Chrome, Firefox, and iChat.

I couldn't answer why don't all bittorrent utilize this anti-virus feature?? It seams by common sense the future way mac viruses will/can spread.

I also understand from the tech news sites that developers that want to utilize Apple's free anti virus protection can simply enable it in the programs preference or plist file (I'm not a software developer so I can't do it with my copy of Transmission).

I would think that it would only be logical to utilize it and help your loyal Mac users.

Thanks.

Keep up the good work team (and turn on this feature)!
T'hain Esh Kelch

Re: Utilize Mac's Malware Protection

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

It is not an anti-virus feature, it is currently only an anti-trojan feature.

And there's no need in Transmission wasting time on it, when the system kicks in as soon as you fire the trojan up. Also, there's only variants of two trojan taken care of at the moment, as far as I am aware, so I would say it would be a waste to spend time on.
Mesiko

Re: Utilize Mac's Malware Protection

Post by Mesiko »

I got mac spend ads/malware, great it can be easily removed.

http://macsecurity.net/view/84/