Issue with Lion Scroll Bar

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
daniel44

Issue with Lion Scroll Bar

Post by daniel44 »

Hey Guys

This is just a minor design flaw but it is driving me crazy. When you change the priority of certain files, the up arrow often is hidden by the new OS X Lion scroll bar. The space to the right of the window should just be increased by about 5 pixels so when the scroll bar appears, it doesn't cover the up arrow.

Thanks, Daniel
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Issue with Lion Scroll Bar

Post by livings124 »

Isn't the whole point of the scroll bar that it covers the content?
daniel44

Post by daniel44 »

So I made a quick screenshot of the problem. This definitely shouldn't happen. Because when you try to click the arrow you often end up scrolling.

Screenshot: https://skitch.com/daniel44/fk531/scroll-bar-issue
imbored

Post by imbored »

I can confirm this issue as well, as it occurs when you're trying to click the magnifying glass icon to open a file in the Finder as well. Drives me nuts too.
.Neo

Post by .Neo »

Simply wait for the scroll bar to disappear before clicking.
bartszyszka

Post by bartszyszka »

The point of the Lion scrollbar is not to "cover the content". The design changes just make it stay out of your way unless you really need to see it (i.e. when scrolling the page) and the presence of a scrollbar no longer alters the layout of content (i.e. a centered page is centered in the same place whether it has a scrollbar or not).

Is there any progress on this issue? Other Lion-compatible programs just have more breathing room (margins) on the left and right side of lists. The Pause/Finder icons shouldn't sit so close to the right edge. From a design standpoint, even without a scrollbar they're still too close to the edge.

There are good examples of this in Mail. Everything has extra spacing in the left/right margins to make room for the scrollbar. I attached a small screenshot of a list of emails with right-aligned stuff spaced away from the edge for the scrollbar.
Right edge of list of emails in Apple Mail
Right edge of list of emails in Apple Mail
Screen Shot 2011-09-10 at 4.33.47 PM.png (35.84 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

More padding around the main window edges has been added to the nighties (build.transmissionbt.com).
bartszyszka

Post by bartszyszka »

Hmm... I just tried a nightly and I think I see more padding in the Inspector, but not in the main Transmission window. It's getting to the point where I just want to find a different torrent client. I'm always scrolling and getting the scrollbar in the way when I want to open files.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

The main window has more padding, not the inspector. This issue will be addressed better in a future version. You can use command-R to reveal files as well. If you want to switch clients over this, that's up to you.