Better "memory caching" for the HDD to be used less frequent

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Darwin

Better "memory caching" for the HDD to be used less frequent

Post by Darwin »

Transmission my favorite bt client, I'm a mac user and also used transmission and some linux machines and a headless setup on my home router.
I've never had any problems, apart from the heavy disk usage (I have this experience on all setups).
Correctly I'm using v2.42 on my mac and I have a 20Mbit line max download speed around 2.2MB, at that state the HDD is constantly used and it affects the whole system (CPU usage around 12%) witch is very light compared to other clients I've tried, but for comparison utorrent in a similar situation uses around 30%-40% of the CPU resources but the HDD is used less frequently, it seems it gathers a larger amount of data in the memory while downloading and saving bigger chunks of data to the HDD.
rb07

Re: Better "memory caching" for the HDD to be used less freq

Post by rb07 »

You can control that in the settings.

With transmission-daemon I use the "Maximum memory cache size" setting, in settings.json its the line:

Code: Select all

"cache-size-mb": 12, 
The default is 4 MB, the recommendation is that for larger network speeds you should double that size. The larger it is, the more RAM the program will use, with a router be very conservative unless it has the free RAM.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Can some one tell me please where to find the "settings.json" file on my mac I've looked in ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission and in the app Content folder with no luck of finding it.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Mac OS X Defaults

But I'm not sure the specific setting works in anything else than the daemon. In Transmission-Qt's settings there isn't that option on the default file.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Thanks for your replies I will try that.