Update installation delay request

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Lord of the Rings

Update installation delay request

Post by Lord of the Rings »

I'm a member of a private torrent site that allows only a limited number of seeding torrents. Their server is somewhat fussy.
Unless I wait a certain amount of time between closing and starting Transmission, each of my seeding torrents will receive an error
"Tracker returned error: not authorized, too many seeding peers by this account, max = 20"

Thus, if I need to restart Transmission for any reason, such as for updates, I get the above issue.

What I would like to request is, after receiving notification of an update, there is an option to delay the actual installation until Transmission's next restart. ie: Transmission downloads the update but delays the installation until the program is next started up. Rather than only the option of how it is now with, update now .. restart immediate.

I suspect this option would not be at all difficult to implement. Thanks in advance if you do consider this issue. :)

Besides, I doubt everyone wants to stop their downloads or uploads just to do an update. It's best before a session actually begins. And after you open Transmission, sessions begin! ;)

I use Transmission for all my private torrents. Vuse for my public torrents, after Vuse was temporarily banned at one of the sites a couple of years ago. I decided it was more practical keeping the private and public torrents totally separate in every way.

Edit: Just as a note: A couple of updates ago, I noticed Transmission's updating of the inspector and main window have slowed considerably. With one often giving different results to the other. Such as saying I'm still connected to a leech when I had finished seeding to them 15 mins earlier, or vice versa, saying I'm not connected to any leechers but in fact I was uploading to a leecher (I had taken snapshots but deleted most, I still have two if you wish to see.) I do not know if this is server announcement related or a Transmission issue. But Transmission never seemed to behave like that previously. I'll see how 2.60 behaves since I only just updated.
I am a person who is somewhat pedantic about upload details and stats. lol :D
Apologies for the 'off-topic' addendum

Addendum attachment: OK, threw the two snapshots into a GiF if that's helpful. In this case, uploading when Transmission says I am not connected to any leechers. And the not connected to leechers stat lasted for 15+ minutes.

Two weeks ago I was considering posting on this forum just for this issue. Then when I posted the above request it reminded me. :D

Edit: Animated GiF has been told to behave and stop annoying people. Upset, the GiF went AWOL.

Well since I had said I had lots of snaps of the same situation, which had been occurring regularly, seems the responder did not really want to know anything about the problem. uTorrent Mac, perhaps after two years with Transmission it's time i said hello to you for 'reliability' of statistics. Seriously, Transmission should just remove the Inspector if it's not going to be accurate. It was once upon a time. Otherwise it's a waste of time even looking at to know what's happening when it's so inaccurate and slow to change to the changes happening with the specific torrents involved.

The other alternative is I simply downgrade. Which would not be the first time. Don't you love it when you auto or decide to manually check an update and find it's buggy as heck on your system. Then the downgrade is fun fun fun in some cases with certain changes made by the newer version making it less easy to downgrade without headaches for the seeding torrents.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.