Request: Separate View options for Uploads and Downloads

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Lord of the Rings

Request: Separate View options for Uploads and Downloads

Post by Lord of the Rings »

Ideally the view options for each of Uploads and Downloads would be separate, and perhaps also for Activity Window.

Here's an example of what I mean. 9 downloads fluctuating all over the place every second becomes dizzying and very difficult to follow what each one is doing.

I prefer to view Downloads via time remaining or the closest to it is progress. If I choose progress, that's fine, but then the active uploads are somewhere in middle of the list. Likewise if I have view option set to State.

I prefer to view Uploads with the active seeds at top of the list. Viewing by Activity achieves this. But that means downloads will be fluctuating all over the place.

Preferential would be if we could set separate view options for each of Uploads and Downloads. Presently it's a universal setting.

I must admit I rarely use the activity window, I view up/downloads windows separately. But regardless, still potentially means highly fluctuating files in the list. :D

And if it's ok for me to say simply as a general observation, I am not sure I have ever seen another file-sharing app that does not have separate view options for each window. I have tried a lot of such programs over the years on different kinds of file-sharing networks. Several torrent apps, multitudes on gnutella, five DC, handful on G2, and others on earlier networks. It just seems natural that a person may wish to choose the view options differently for each window. And most file-sharing programs have such options. But not Transmission.

Edit: Dec 27
* An option to sort downloads by time remaining would be helpful.

Progress and Time Remaining are two different concepts. For example, a file could have a progress of 90% completed yet be downloading at 0.5 KB/s and have 4 days remaining. Another file might be 10% complete but be downloading at 500 KB/s and have 30 minutes remaining.
View by progress has no meaning for the Upload window, and instead arranges them in no meaningful order. This is the kind of reason both the Upload and Download windows should have separate view options.

Sort by activity does not do the trick. Active window has a limit of sorting options and combining uploads & downloads in the one window is a little messy. It also does not give the preferred results.

I realised Transmissions view options were limited and simple when I first started using it. (I sufficed since I was needing a temporary replacement for another client. But since I decided to keep all my private torrents on Transmission and public on the other client, I decided to stay with Transmission for that reason. It's more ideal for me to keep private and public torrents separate both with the program and on disk.)

Or am I one of the rare few who seeds files and has constant uploads? Yes I am a genuine passionate file sharer, seems not a common type of person these days lol. I am pedantic about upload details. I feel it is my duty to seed back a file I have downloaded; this is called 'File-Sharing'. Some people do not understand this of course, they simply think it is a freeloader network. And that is also one reason such persons are never invited to some of the private torrent sites where they would not last long if freeloading. And that is also one reason there are so many 'dead' public torrents, some of which die quickly because nobody seeds them after downloading.

The lack of response to my post suggests neither forum members/users or developers seem to care about view options for the upload window and allowing separate view options for each of the upload/download windows. Fair enough.

But on the other hand, I did notice a few other persons posting requests about view options. See, everyone wants something a little different to suit their approach. And giving both the appropriate and separate options for each window's view options would solve a lot of people's issues for viewing. Whilst they have one window set as they like, the other windows do not show as they would prefer. Reiterating, separate view options for each window with appropriate view options for each one. Example, no view by 'Progress' option for Upload window, sighs. A time remaining option for both uploads and downloads would be more suitable. This parameter can fit both view options.

Transmission 2.75
OSX 10.6, MacPro 2008
3.2 GHz,16GB,4x1TB.
Last edited by Lord of the Rings on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of the Rings

Re: Request: Separate View options for Uploads and Downloads

Post by Lord of the Rings »

I have no idea about Transmission because I have not checked, but custom view settings are usually stored within a particular settings file for most file-sharing programs. This may include main interface dimensions, column choice and location and width, the 'sort by' choice, for each of the Windows concerned.

The universal view setting as Transmission uses keeps things very simple and no doubt also for programming. Presumably the code is split into modules for processing Upload, (active) and Downloads and data. If yes, then I can only guess separating the view options should not be so difficult to achieve. Directing them to their own specific view options module instead of a universal one.

Is this not a desirable thing? Is this not both more logical and practical (especially when some of the view options don't even fit the purpose as mentioned in the previous post. Nor do the view options as they are even work for all windows as one would expect, probably because they are not suited.)