Please make cache size customizable through GUI

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
leonsyc

Please make cache size customizable through GUI

Post by leonsyc »

Hello Transmission developers,
Could you please add a option to change the cache size in preference pane? The default size is 4MB which is way too small for wide bandwidth users. If I don't limit the download/upload speed, transmission app gets freezed and extremely laggy.
Someone told me to change the value from "settings.json" and I referred to https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/ConfigFiles. But unfortunately, nothing is found under that directory. Later I tried by executing

Code: Select all

defaults write org.m0k.transmission cache-size-mb 32
via terminal. Still no working. :cry:
So is there a way to change the size? I cannot build a Transmission by myself since my most visit Private Torrent site doesn't allow any mod client. Please help me!!
Thanks in advance.
leonsyc

Re: Please make cache size customizable through GUI

Post by leonsyc »

x190 wrote:
So is there a way to change the size? I cannot build a Transmission by myself since my most visit Private Torrent site doesn't allow any mod client.
They won't know or care if you edit that value in the code. Get Xcode, if not already installed, and I'll help you find where to edit the code.
Sorry, I am not a programmer and know nothing about compiling and so forth. I really hope this problem can be solved in the future releases. Isn't the cache size option indispensable for any mainstream Bittorrent client?
jasonkit

Post by jasonkit »

I have done the the code change for modifying the Preference window, and cache size can be set there (take effect after relaunch, cause I don't know will there be any side effect calling tr_sessionSetCacheLimit_MB() when there is transfer), however I have no idea how to share the my change to Transmission developers, so I just leave the change here...

Following URL is point to the svn diff between the latest code (Thu Aug 22 22:56:34 2013 UTC+8) and my local copy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lrflewsi1snz ... ssion.diff
jasonkit

Post by jasonkit »

Thanks, I have create a ticket there and now wait for moderation.
Macomatic

Post by Macomatic »

Quoting the patch status at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/5473
Changed 18 months ago by livings124
Resolution set to wontfix

Status changed from new to closed
I appreciate the patch, but this was intentionally left out of the client. It's a feature that the vast majority of users don't need and could cause more harm than good when misused. It's meant as a daemon-only feature.
What about making this a setting that is only accessible via the defaults interface, i.e.

defaults write org.m0k.transmission cache-size-mb -int 256

The native Mac interface is much more polished and functional than the browser interface to the daemon. If the developers are concerned that putting the cache-size-mb setting into the preferences panel is dangerous for "the vast majority of users" and is only an 'expert feature' then what about the above suggestion, which the same type of users who are 'qualified to use the daemon' would understand how to tune but they (me too) would not have to suffer through the browser interface to be able to use Transmission with a larger cache size. The default 4 MB cache is very tiny on modern systems and causes needless thrashing of my disk.

Thanks for considering.
st0

Post by st0 »

Hi,

I strongly agree with Macomatic's suggestion, at least provide a hidden setting that can be set via plist. Default 4MB cache is not enough for modern computer, and its almost kill my hard drive.

Thanks, -st0