Check Active Seed Count When Download Finishes

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Dwimmerlaik

Check Active Seed Count When Download Finishes

Post by Dwimmerlaik »

I'm not entirely sure how to word this, so I'll just describe what I'm seeing and what I think would be better and you all can pick it apart. :)

If I have a number of downloads queued up and I have a limit on the number of active downloads, Transmission correctly allows only the number of active downloads I've specified to be running at any point in time. For example, if I set the download limit to 4 then only four files can be downloading simultaneously. While those downloads are in the process of downloading, they are all actively seeding. As each download completes, the file will continue to seed even if the total number of files being seeded are in excess of the number of simultaneous seeds I have specified. So, consider the following scenario:

I have both my Download & Seeding settings set to allow a maximum of 4 active transfers each (total of 8).

File #1 - Downloading & Seeding
File #2 - Downloading & Seeding
File #3 - Downloading & Seeding
File #4 - Downloading & Seeding
File #5 - Queued

In the above situation, there is no problem. There are 4 active downloads & 4 active uploads for a total of 8. This complies with my settings.

Now, consider the following scenario, File #1 completes the download, it continues to seed and File #5 begins to Download & Seed:

File #1 - Seeding
File #2 - Downloading & Seeding
File #3 - Downloading & Seeding
File #4 - Downloading & Seeding
File #5 - Downloading & Seeding

In this situation, I now have a total for 4 Active Downloads & 5 Active Seeds. This violates the limits I have set in my preferences. If I do a "pause all" and "resume all" then File #1 will be set to a "Waiting" status because the maximum number of active seed transfers has been reached.

So, here is what I'm proposing:

Whenever a file completes the download, the application should check to see how many active transfers (downloads & uploads) there are. If the maximum has been reached, then that file should be paused. As the higher priority seeds complete, then the subsequent files will begin seeding in the order they were added to the queue. Additionally, as subsequent files begin to download, they should check to see if there are already a maximum number of active seed transfers running (ie. From earlier downloads) and not seed while downloading. In this way, there should not be more than the number of active transfers specified in preferences.

I'm seeing this issue when I have a lot of files queued up and I'll come back and see that all 15 of them are trying to seed at once and none of them are seeding with any kind of bandwidth because the upload bandwidth is being spread too thin. I have the limit set for a reason and the application should honor it.