More decimals in download ratios

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Traveller

More decimals in download ratios

Post by Traveller »

I enjoy watching the bytes go up and down, but, there are only two decimal places displayed. This is for the ratio itself and for the actual download/upload amount. Can a third decimal be added?

For example, I am at: 1.74 2.24/3.9 TB. Think how much fun it would be if, for example, my ratio was given as: 1.749 2.241/3.92.
dwdockins

Re: More decimals in download ratios

Post by dwdockins »

I heartily second this long standing issue. I brought it up several years ago and termed the issue 'precision decimals'. I was immediately put down faster than a mad cow with the statement, "Precision decimals will NOT be implemented". The irony is that the program itself IS keeping track of this precision - it just doesn't display what it is already doing. I have tested Transmission and believe that the program keeps track out to at least three decimals, perhaps further. As a retired programmer, I know full well that all that needs to be done is to alter a very few display characteristics within the program, without having to change in any way how the program processes data. In the face of an inexplicable management recalcitrance concerning this one easy fix, lots of luck with this one.
dwdockins

Post by dwdockins »

Thank you for such a rapid response... but... I can't constantly revise open source code with my 'fix' when long ago it should have already been integral within the main program at version 1. There is plenty of line length remaining in the display areas to include 'extra' decimal precision, no problemo. Perhaps to be included with v2.85?! - Thanks again, Darryl
dwdockins

Post by dwdockins »

OK, version 2.90 is public and STILL no resolution of this insanely easy 'fix'. Users take notice - management's attitude here is obviously 'Golf Foxtrot Yankee" - and duly noted. "Take it or leave it"; I'll take it because XMSN is so far still the best around... but, I just don't like it! - D.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

There're as many opinions as there're people. As an example, for me ratio is more about order of magnitude and not precision, and 3 digits feels overkill. What's the use-case for this? Do you do some calculations based on that or what?

If you guys feel like this is an easy fix, let's continue discussion on Trac with patch(es) attached. Nobody owes you anything in open-source world unless interests align, and even then one still needs to find time. So please, don't try driving us into guilt.
dwdockins

Post by dwdockins »

I'll key on the original concept - "fun"! This 'fix' was never intended to be more than that.

Transmission is already fun - just tho't it might be made more so. I only responded years later when someone else brought up an ancient (for ME) subject, long forgotten.

If I have prodded too hard, I apologize to all for "driving us into guilt"; no harm intended.

Thanks for Transmission. HAVE A NICE DAY. - D.
hurdwy

Post by hurdwy »

mike.dld wrote:There're as many opinions as there're people. As an example, for me ratio is more about order of magnitude and not precision, and 3 digits feels overkill.
What about adding an option from 0-3 and let people decide how many decimals they wish to see. Even without gui option, just config file...