Interface Binding on Mac (New App!)

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
hbwhite

Re: Interface Binding on Mac (New App!)

Post by hbwhite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:00 am

I was just thinking about this. Wrote the script, adding it now. It will show up as an update in Clutch and I'll post again here when it's ready (maybe in a few hours). Thanks!

hbwhite

Post by hbwhite » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:48 pm

Clutch v1.4 is now available!

- Clutch can now restart Transmission gracefully without using force-quit. This prevents you from losing your progress or torrent settings when Clutch has to restart Transmission. Enable this feature in Clutch for setup instructions.
- Added regex support for interface names. Be sure to use real regex and not shell glob. For example, enter utun.* instead of utun* if you want to use regex.
- Added a nice loading animation while Transmission is binding/unbinding
- Clutch now updates the list of interfaces each time you open the dropdown
- Fixed a bug where Transmission wouldn't restart if the bar menu was open
- Clutch now uses the new Mac OS hardened runtime
- Other minor bug fixes and performance improvements

Major portions of the app were rewritten to add the graceful quit option. Check out diff d3982b7 to see how much the code has changed!

You can update to the latest version by going to Clutch > Check for Updates...

New users, download the latest version of Clutch here:

https://github.com/hbwhite/Clutch/relea ... h-v1.4.zip

Full source code here:

https://github.com/hbwhite/Clutch

Enjoy! -H

deltaman8

Post by deltaman8 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 am

Been testing this for over a week now on three different machines. Very good job. Thank you Sir!

Few observations:
- On 10.13 only the first security setting ("Accessibilty") is neccessary. The second button will open the "System Preferences" though, but there is - of course - no "Automation" setting found.
- On 10.14 the machine had to be restarted before the Clutch.app was showing up in the "Automation" settings.
- Couldn't see any "nice loading animation", but maybe I am just blind ;-)
- I am not a native speaker, so I was a little bit confused about the wording in the app. "Binding to [interface]" sounded to me like: "I am still in the process of completing the bind." I would have expected something like: "Bound to [interface]" when the process is complete. But again: I am not a native speaker.

Again: Terrific job!

davids

Post by davids » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi Harrison,

I have been using Clutch for a while with the connection to my VPN made by setting up the VPN in macOS's System Preferences/Network and since the VPN was always on the same interface, Clutch worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the VPN provider went out of business and my new provider uses Tunnelblick to connect. Apparently, Tunnelblick is rather popular, e.g., my ASUS router's VPN server uses it.

The problem that I am having is that the VPN tunnel is no longer always on the same interface, which means that when Tunnelblick connects and gets a difference interface, Transmission isn't allowed by Clutch to download. I know that this isn't really your problem and that supporting Clutch is an act of generosity. However, if you feel like fixing this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

David

<br >

Post by <br > » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:00 pm

well, nice to know which version it works on. Now I know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz99w524r1276 ... 3.jpg?dl=0

varshith123

Post by varshith123 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 am

Indeed, Clutch has to know the name of the interface. The interface IP address may change, however, the name will remain the equivalent. The grip will tie Transmission to the interface's IP address and will naturally re-tie it if the IP address changes (which may occur if your association drops or your VPN IP address changes). Along these lines, no bundles are spilt outside of your VPN association, and Transmission keeps on working when your IP address changes. To discover the name of your interface, open the dropdown menu in Clutch and observe the interface names (you may need to look down to see them all). At that point interface with your VPN, close and re-open Clutch, and take a gander at the dropdown menu once more. Another interface should show up that wasn't there the first run through. This new interface is the one you need to tie to. Select it in the menu, click "Tie Transmission to Interface," and Clutch will wrap up. Inform me as to whether this makes a difference!