Dark Mode for Mac OS 10.14 Mojave

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
MakoCore

Dark Mode for Mac OS 10.14 Mojave

Post by MakoCore »

The title says it all! Mac OS Mojave is featuring a "dark mode" for the entire User-Interface. I think version 3.0 of Transmission should include a "dark mode" that is either enabled based on a timed schedule (similar to their background images), or just having the option to enable it. :D
jabohn

Re: Dark Mode for Mac OS 10.14 Mojave

Post by jabohn »

If my understanding is correct, when the app is built using the Mojave developer tools, Dark Mode will be automatically added. It is up to the developer to make sure everything actually looks good though and may require tweaking. Then the app will be dark along with the rest of the system, based on your setting in System Preferences (there is no timed or per-app setting).
jabohn

Post by jabohn »

Any updates on this being added? Mojave's been out for awhile now.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

A first-pass of adding dark mode support has been pushed to our git repository.
jabohn

Post by jabohn »

It's been 2 months since the last nightly build. Any news?
jabohn

Post by jabohn »

Good to see dark mode support in the latest nightly build!

I don't know if it helps but my suggestion is that the progress bars in dark mode are too bright. Many macOS elements adjust to a darker version when dark mode is enabled, so maybe Transmission's progress bars should have darker progress bars just for dark mode?

To go a step further, could the progress bars be made more "Mojave-like" - for instance, when copying files in Finder, the progress bar takes on the highlight color you've picked in System Preferences and it's a solid color. Transmission's progress bars still have an aqua or glassy look to them like from older macOS'.
bleepbop

Post by bleepbop »

Any news on this? I imagine it is very easy to implement (with basic development skills, which I don't have).
jabohn

Post by jabohn »

The latest nightly build has dark mode, but the public release does not. No work has been done on this app in a long time.
ksec

Post by ksec »

jabohn wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm The latest nightly build has dark mode, but the public release does not. No work has been done on this app in a long time.
That is not true, there were lots of code changes and refactoring in nightly. Hopefully 3.0 will be with us soon.
jabohn

Post by jabohn »

Well there have been no nightly builds in 3 months, and when I wrote that comment last October, there weren't any in 7 months. The nightly builds have slowed down considerably lately.