Ability to block connection to certain clients and IPs.

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
jjaro

Ability to block connection to certain clients and IPs.

Post by jjaro »

Now that Transmission has many of the features I've wanted for a while—selective downloading and such, many thanks—I hope that you guys will implement the ability to ban certain clients and IPs (singular or ranges).

The reason I request this function is because of BitComet's recent, and past behavior.

I've noticed since BitComet's latest release that my download speeds have taken a sharp drop. While I don't have the most absolute evidence to support my theory that it is BitComet becoming the problem, I have noticed that whenever a BitComet client connects to my machine my speed suddenly slows to a dead crawl. I've watched this occur on eight of my torrents, speed will be around 50-90kb/s, then a BitComet client connects and the speed quickly drops to 20, then to 10s, and then into the single digits, and then into fractions. Since I started typing this one of my downloads (a subbed anime episode) was at 92kb/s, it is now at 0.0kb/s.

Forty-six connections, twelve of them BitComet and now a BitLord client.
mikewb

Post by mikewb »

Generally, this is a bad thing and there are many reasons why uTorrent, Azureus etc disallow this behavior.

You should really complain to the torrent tracker about banning clients.
ace102

Re: Ability to block connection to certain clients and IPs.

Post by ace102 »

bump ...Old post but this is still a good idea to block/drop on weird/unknown Clients I think. I'd like to have the option to block connections from Xunlei,Osprey,SD0100,etc besides going in and blocking them manually by IP. :^)
essiw

Re: Ability to block connection to certain clients and IPs.

Post by essiw »

ace102 wrote:bump ...Old post but this is still a good idea to block/drop on weird/unknown Clients I think. I'd like to have the option to block connections from Xunlei,Osprey,SD0100,etc besides going in and blocking them manually by IP. :^)
there is already a blocklist, no reason for this anymore