Stay in menu bar not dock?

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
booshtukka

Re: Stay in menu bar not dock?

Post by booshtukka »

I think dockless also stops you being able to apple-tab to the main window though, if it is open :/

Thanks for this. Distributing methods? Don't know, sorry... :/
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

Ok, so i found a little glitch with the way i have the download and upload speeds connected. They work just fine in the menulet, but only when the main Transmission window is showing. I know why this is and I am trying to work around it but this is going to cause me not to put something out there quite yet.

Sorry about that everyone who was waiting for this, just give me a little more time.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just like to add that I am patiently waiting for this too.
Paul
commodity

Post by commodity »

As would I.
Paul

Post by Paul »

*wonders if there is a beta on the horizon yet?
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

OK everyone, here is my first (well kinda second) attempt to make a basic menulet for transmission. It does not have all the functionality that I would like but I might get to that later.

The version of transmission i used for this build was the latest one (as of last night) that could be downloaded via svn. The version that is reported in the Get Info window reads 1.50+

As it stands now i am pretty busy with school stuff, so i have no idea how much i will be able to work on this or even if i will be able to update it when the next version of transmission comes out. As it stands now the dock icon is not taken away, this will be the next thing I am going to try to fix, but refer to the first sentence on when that will be. My suggestion is to use a program like Dockless to remove the dock icon if you want it gone that badly. I would like to implement submenu's for the torrents. There would be three submenus one for each state the torrents can be in. From there the torrents could be started, stopped, resumed, or deleted.

Th link for the file is below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ym0hutywbnj
Paul

Post by Paul »

Works really well, and with dockless behaves just how I want it to.

Thanks so much for your effort, I hope you'll get to finish it off at some point, but I am very happy having this to go forward with

Paul
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

Paul wrote:Works really well, and with dockless behaves just how I want it to.

Thanks so much for your effort, I hope you'll get to finish it off at some point, but I am very happy having this to go forward with

Paul
Glad to hear (read) that it works for you. This is really my first time distributing this to others and I was unsure whether i had done it correctly. Granted XCode makes it pretty simple, but still something could have happened.

If other would try i out and let me know how it works for them that would be great.

I will also take requests for features, just please remember that I can not promise anything.

Thanks for being the first guinea pig Paul!!
jamesjm

Post by jamesjm »

This is a really great development!

One thing I would like to mention is that it might be handier to have "show transmission" as the first item on the menubar. Is there any momentum to get this into the main transmission tree?
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

jamesjm wrote:This is a really great development!

One thing I would like to mention is that it might be handier to have "show transmission" as the first item on the menubar. Is there any momentum to get this into the main transmission tree?
To be honest i have no idea. That would be something to ask livings124 or the other developers.

T be honest there is not a lot of code i had to add for this menulet. The hardest part, for me anyway, was figuring out were the stuff i needed was. Once i did that it was fairly straight forward. The inclusion of the submenus will, i think, be a little be harder and something that will take time. I also what to add an option to enable or disable the menulet, but that will also come later.
pucknell

Post by pucknell »

This is a great app and a great feature i for one would like to see in transmission. Its so convenient to be able to check the status from the menu bar. Thank you and please update it and continue working on it if you can.

comments/suggestions if your interested...
-i'd like to see the UL/DL numbers in the menu bar, similar to gnotifier number of emails.
-drop down would show me progress % for any active torrents.

thanks!
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

Hello everyone,

I just finished up with a very long spring quarter and have gotten back into modifying Transmission so that the menuitem still works. I have some work to do and will probably be releasing a version soon that is based on an updated version of Transmission. After That release I will start to work on adding some of the features suggested. Please try to be patient, as it will probably take me a little while to get some of this stuff done. I just started summer quarter (which I had no intention of taking classes this summer) and I am also interviewing for full time positions with various companies, these two things will probably keep me fairly busy but I will try to get stuff updated and keep on top of things.

Look for a post sometime near the end of the week with a link to a updated version (no real changes just using a new version of Transmission)
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »

OK, thanks everyone for being so patient. There is a new build with some stuff moved around but no real features added. With taking summer classes, working 40 hours and possibly starting a "real" job soon it has been a little busy around here. This will only work on 10.5 and is version 1.72+ of transmission (I downloaded it via SVN about a week ago)

I will be going back through the thread and making a list of all the suggestions that have been made for improvements. It will probably take me a while but hopefully it will not be to long.

here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?td0yowu91hf
Zolo

Post by Zolo »

Can I get a mirror? I requested this same feature and I didn't know there was already a topic for it.
prostuff1

Post by prostuff1 »