Actions for after a download completes

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
transmit

Actions for after a download completes

Post by transmit »

I would love it if there could be an option for "Scan for viruses with…" in Transmission. I manually scan each download ClamXav after it finishes and this would help speed up the process. Does this seem like a doable implementation?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Not gonna happen.
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

@transmit

You could probably achieve this with Applescript or Automator. Or maybe you can set ClamXav to automatically scan your completed downloads folder.
compulsionstar

Re: Actions for after a download completes

Post by compulsionstar »

if someone hasn't already, how would one go about writing a Applescript or Automator like this? that would check files with ClamX AV after download. i don't know how to. because that would be great to have it checked.
transmit

Post by transmit »

I am also curious about this.
collegeitdept

Post by collegeitdept »

Same here.

Why is "livings124" so against security? livings124 please provide an explanation... is too hard to implement? If so, then I can understand.

livings124 has closed 2 enhancement tickets and seems to go against being a secure/"good Mac citizen." He is against (without providing a reason) having Transmission check with Snow Leopard's BUILT-IN basic (very basic) malware check LSQuarantine.

I hope Transmission will eventually be more compatible and more security conscious in the future.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Transmission supports executing a script when downloads complete. That can be used to kick off a virus scan.
collegeitdept

Post by collegeitdept »

Great!

would there be away to have this script included in Transmission so that way most users will have protection (if ClamAV is installed off course). After all most users use the default settings and furthermore don't know how to code scripts to make this work.

It will be a MAJOR step forward in Mac security if Transmission includes a script (I'm not saying Transmission include in it's code - but simply include an optional script in the DMG)....

Hopefully this script will automatically be loaded if ClamXav or other antivirus program is installed. - but even included a script in the DMG that user must manually load in Transmission's preferences would go a LONG way.

Can anyone write a workable script please?

Thanks.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Nope, this won't be included.
Renara

Post by Renara »

Simply having scripts posted to the forums should be enough for interested users to find things?

If any budding AppleScript users are reading this thread, one script I'd love to see is one that simply sets a colour label on a completed torrent's root file/folder, as this will make them work better with smart folders for seeing recently completed torrents. I think I could probably build this with automator (are automator scripts compatible with the download script feature in Transmission?) but I usually prefer to have AppleScripts where possible.