Link to original torrent download page?

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
senglund

Link to original torrent download page?

Post by senglund »

Hi - I'm wondering if it would be possible to build in a feature that would allow you to link back to the original page you downloaded the torrent file from? I like to leave comments to help other users know quality but often find that I cannot find the specific place that it came from after I've been downloading for a few days. It seems like it would be a simple thing - and the inspector info helps - but it would be nice to be able to hit a button and be back where the process started.
Also - is it possible to add explanations for the colors for the progress and available sections right in the window? I know it can be found in help, but I'm forgetful (obviously) and it would be nice to just have it there.
Thanks
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Sorry, that's not possible.
drsassafras

Browser Plugin

Post by drsassafras »

You may be able to do this through a browser plugin. Firefox has many plugins, you might want to try it.

Brendan
Work0Holic

Re: Link to original torrent download page?

Post by Work0Holic »

senglund wrote:Hi - I'm wondering if it would be possible to build in a feature that would allow you to link back to the original page you downloaded the torrent file from?
This is the EXACT reason why I came to the Forums, so I could put in this request. It would be fantastic to have Transmission simply pull the "Where from:" URLs out of the torrent file's 'More Info' data, so that in Transmission, I could right click on the completed download and chose, "Open Source URL" ... Transmission would simply grab the URL that already exists in the properties of the file and use the default web browser to open up the web page.

The goal here is the same, to be able to see updated comments on the torrent as well as post any comments that might help others on the posting URL.

IN THE MEAN TIME, the only way to do this is to right click the file in Transmission and pull up the inspector. Go to the general info tab and right click on the hash number and chose "Search in Spotlight" (or just copy and paste it into spotlight). Once the file comes up, right click it, chose "Get Info", then look at the "Where From" section ... there will be two URLs ... one will download the torrent again (the first one) and the second one will take you to the page that had the download link.

If your torrent file is in the trash, you won't find it in spotlight and you won't get the URLs from the Get Info dialog box, so you have to take them out of the trash and also make sure that Transmission isn't configured to delete torrents after they're opened in the Preferences window under Transfers / Adding (uncheck the 'Trash original torrent file' check box).

Hope this helps,

Mike
drsassafras

Post by drsassafras »

WOW.

It sounds like an amazing opportunity to improve transmission, that could lead to better comments on torrent sites & indirectly lead to improved swarms.

Brendan
Work0Holic

Post by Work0Holic »

This is really handy too.

http://technocrank.com/downloads/

Once applied to OSX, hitting the space bar on a .torrent file will pull up the details about the torrent such as the announcers, files included in the torrent, date created, size etc. - very nice indeed!