Request: Clear Completed Torrents Button

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
gunnmjk

Request: Clear Completed Torrents Button

Post by gunnmjk »

Hi, I have been wanting this feature for some time. It's fairly simple, but a "Clear" button for completed (100% Downloaded, 100% Seeded) torrents would be great. It would not do anything to currently active (Downloading or seeding) torrents.

It would work similar to the Clear button in the Safari Downloads window, and similar to the "Clear All" button in OmniWebs download window. This way, if you have a lot of torrents that have completed downloading, you can quickly remove them saving some time. See my clever attachments for illustration :D

Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (18.1 KiB) Viewed 11972 times
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (47.7 KiB) Viewed 11972 times
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Request: Clear Completed Torrents Button

Post by livings124 »

This doesn't transfer to torrents clearly. Is a seeding torrent completed? Paused torrent completed? The comparison to downloads, which are completed when they finish downloading, doesn't hold.
gunnmjk

Post by gunnmjk »

I am going to have to disagree, and I will try to make what I am saying more clear. Although you are right that a torrent has many more statuses than a download in a web browser, there is a status that can be considered complete. This is not paused torrents, and this is not torrents that have finished downloading and are now seeding.

Let me give an example. I have torrents set to seed to a default ratio of 1.5. Once a torrent has seeded to the ratio of 1.5 as set in the Preferences, Transmission automatically "Stops Seeding" the torrent. If the torrent has completed downloading, and has completed seeding, the torrent is no longer transferring data in any direction. At this point, I see it as complete. Wouldn't you agree?

And in my experience, I often fill up Transmission with transfers that have completed. This is more common if I am downloading many small torrents of only a few MB, and return the next day. I suppose this can still be done by cmd-clicking or shift-clicking several torrents in the Transfers window, but I think a button like this would be a nice option to have.

Thanks
Tapper69

Post by Tapper69 »

I'll second this motion to add a button or menu/keyboard command to Clear Completed Torrents, with the definition of Completed Torrents being fully downloaded and fully seeded. A very practical function that Transmission, an excellent application, needs.
aob

Post by aob »

I'm also going to add that I'd like to have the option of making this automatic, checkbox in preferences.

Download -> Seed -> Seeding Complete -> Clear
Tapper69

Post by Tapper69 »

FYI. Under the Transfer menu, there are two keys mapped for removing from List/Date File.
michaeli

Post by michaeli »

But why do we have to click some to clear it? Why can't transmission just have an option to Clear the list of completed torrents.

I would LOVE a button that removes Completed torrents when finished seeding.

I will even donate AGAIN if it gets me this feature.!
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

When there are completed (finished seeding) transfers, a button does appear on the bottom left to remove them.
michaeli

Post by michaeli »

yeah, I get that, but not not an option to just clean up after itself? I mean if I choose that I am done after seeding for whatever ratio I deem appropriate, then let me.

I mean I have spent the time now with folder actions, automator workflows and some applescript to basically do this now, so I could kinda care less if the developers do it or not, but I just don't understand why it is so hard to get what SEEMS like a simple option that SOOOO many people want added?

I get a button pops up, but how bout just adding the option!

M
vbm

Post by vbm »

I agree this would be a nice feature, especially if you are saving torrents in the watch folder from rss feeds using flexget. :)
It seems someone raised a ticket raised asking for this (https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2353) two years ago and this issue was deemed not interesting to enough users. But it has resurfaced a couple of times since then, so maybe we have a chance to raise this ticket's priority. I suggest whoever is interested in this to add a +1 on said ticket.

My suggestion on how to implement this: with a "move .torrent file when finished to" box (similar to the "keep incomplete torrents" option but with trash as an alternative). This would allow people to either get rid of the torrents or archive them somewhere. :)
vbm

Post by vbm »

Hi guys,

Quick update: it seems it isn't possible to add comments to tickets you did not raise, so I popped by #Transmission on Freenode as raising a duplicate ticket just for it to be closed and added to this one. On #Transmission I was told to look at the ticket's comment #10 (my bad I overlooked it before), but geirha helped me with the following "workaround" using transmission remote:

Code: Select all

ids=$(transmission-remote -l | awk -F '^ +|  +' '$9=="Finished"{ids=ids sep $2; sep=","} END {print ids}'); transmission-remote -t "$ids" -r
You can add it to your crontab and get your torrents removed on a regular basis.