Request: Speed Limits based on Groups

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Banny

Request: Speed Limits based on Groups

Post by Banny »

It would be great if you could impose upload and download limits based on groups. I puts my torrents in different groups based on Trackers and I like to dedicate bandwidth to some torrents/trackers more than others. It'd be great if you could impose an upload or download limit on an entire group of torrents, rather than clicking through to all of the individual torrents and adjusting them one by one.

I suppose this means you'd also be setting cumulative limits rather than per-torrent limits, but I think it would be mighty convenient!
Jethryn Freyman

Re: Request: Speed Limits based on Groups

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

I was just thinking that today, it's not a bad idea.
shape

Post by shape »

i was going to post this exact same feature request but found it in the search first. this is absolutely essential!! having to adjust 20 torrents one by one sucks b/c i have to change the speed limits on every active torrent within 1 group. you should just be able to click, or control+click, the group name, get a drop down menu, and apply the same setting to the entire group. the drop-down menu should ideally be like the priority drop-down menu with options for individual, group, or global where only one could be selected at a time and the selected setting would apply to all torrents within the group.
payeco

Post by payeco »

Why not just select all the torrents in the group and then change the upload/download speed limit in the inspector window? When multiple torrents are selected and you change the speed limits in there that limit applies to all selected torrents. Maybe not as nice as a specific 'limit by group' feature but it works in the mean time. While I don't use it in the context of groups, I do this often for torrents from a certain tracker I frequently download from so I can limit the upload speed on just those torrents.
lovelyrita

Post by lovelyrita »

Absolutely agree this would be a massively useful feature. Pretty please with sugar on top! :D :D

@payeco Your suggestion doesn't help. You can set a group of torrent to limit to 5KB/s each but if you have 10 torrents in that group and only want to use a max of 15 KB/s for the whole group... it requires constant monitoring, assuming not all torrents will have leechers all the time. Whereas setting an upper limit for the whole Group (regardless of number of active torrents) would allow you the control without constantly monitoring your active torrents.
AHey

Post by AHey »

I know this is an old thread but I came here just to suggest this. This is an absolutely awesome BT-client but this would be the icing on the cake.
Would be pretty useful when you want 50/50 upload to two different trackers (or more)!

Sincerely
rmr

Post by rmr »

+1 on this.

I think this is the only thing missing in Transmission, with it (& also ratio limits per group) it would be perfect.

In fact groups then would be flexible enough to make a lot of other feature requests happening..
smajor

Post by smajor »

I came here looking for this topic too. I would love this feature, along with the ratio limits set via groups too.

I'm on public and private trackers and would like to dedicate different ratios e.g. higher than 1:1 to the private trackers as well as allocate more bandwidth to them.

Super sweet icing would be separate scheduler rules for them, but I'd be happy with the above degree of automation that I have to manually manage now. :D
shape

Post by shape »

i gave this a try but it's not providing the function i was looking for, which is to set a max bandwidth per group. sure i can for ex. set each torrent to 10 kb/s UL but if i want a max bandwidth of 40 kb/sec and then 10 torrents are seeding, it goes up to 100 kb/s UL. but if only 1 or 2 torrents are seeding, they should each get 20 automatically, or 1 torrent at 40. but now if only 1 torrent is seeding with this setting, it will only get 10.
payeco wrote:Why not just select all the torrents in the group and then change the upload/download speed limit in the inspector window? When multiple torrents are selected and you change the speed limits in there that limit applies to all selected torrents. Maybe not as nice as a specific 'limit by group' feature but it works in the mean time. While I don't use it in the context of groups, I do this often for torrents from a certain tracker I frequently download from so I can limit the upload speed on just those torrents.
ademartoe

Post by ademartoe »

shape wrote:i gave this a try but it's not providing the function i was looking for, which is to set a max bandwidth per group. sure i can for ex. set each torrent to 10 kb/s UL but if i want a max bandwidth of 40 kb/sec and then 10 torrents are seeding, it goes up to 100 kb/s UL. but if only 1 or 2 torrents are seeding, they should each get 20 automatically, or 1 torrent at 40. but now if only 1 torrent is seeding with this setting, it will only get 10.
that's not the result we were expecting, unfortunately...
ziovelvet

Post by ziovelvet »

Any news? This feature would be really useful!
sqeyes

Post by sqeyes »

I'd also like this feature. Anyone know if it is on the roadmap - is there an open ticket? I'd be up for helping with the implementation

Update (in answer to my own post :oops: ):
Ticket #3532 was opened as a result of this thread and rejected as a duplicate of #1541 which itself is still open today, though not prioritised.
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Late to the party, but +1 for me!
Transmission automatically grabs my torrents from a couple different custom RSS feeds and I'd love to be able to set the bandwidth depending on the group! I guess this would have to expand preferences for the Bandwidth tab, etc., but it'd be really handy!
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

Was there ever any progress on this?
theboyk

Post by theboyk »

I'm going to assume this feature isn't something that a lot of people are interested in (which is understandable). That said, is anyone aware of another BT application that would do something like this? My torrent workflow is nearly fully automated, with managing speed/seed preferences per-torrent being the only manual aspect. Would love to be able to automate that as well.