app to pass .torrents, magnets to Transmission on a server?

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Adegans

app to pass .torrents, magnets to Transmission on a server?

Post by Adegans »

Hello

I've been using transmission for a while now and i like it alot. The webinterface is nice and all.
Recently i've set up a Mac Mini Server and thought i'd move the BT client to there so my iMac and such are not constantly required to be on for when i download something. It works great.

However, what would be really nice is a small app i can run on that imac, that when i click a torrent or magnet link on a torrent site that app picks it up as if it is the actual download client and then passes the link or torrent file to the real transmission app on the server (or any computer specified).

Any plans for such function? Or maybe it does exist but i missed it... Couldn't find it though.

Thanks in advance!
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: A remote client

Post by Jordan »

(moved to Mac Requests forum)
Adegans

Re: app to pass .torrents, magnets to Transmission on a server?

Post by Adegans »

Moved... But my request is not mac specific. I'm sure windows users could make use of this too.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

not quite as automatic as what you're asking for, but for .torrent files at least (not for magnet links), you could save them from your browser to a shared directory on your server, and have transmission watch that directory.
Adegans

Post by Adegans »

i do that now, but when i click a torrent or magnet link it attempts to open the default bt client. Which in itself is not really a problem, but an app that accepts those torrents and links and passes it on to the remote client would be super easy and cool :)
unblocktheplanet

Why won't magnet links start?!?

Post by unblocktheplanet »

Trust the Transmission fora to make me feel like I'm lost in space!

I have been delighted with Transmission on Mac OS X for a long time and was really looking forward to decentralised magnet links.

I'm running four Macs, two Tigers, a Leopard and a Snow Leopard. I've only run Transmission on 10.5 and 10.6.

BitTorrent is pretty easy, eh? D/l the torrent, double-click and you're d/ling. Click on a magnet link, however, and the file instantly shows up in the Transmission window, always in RED!

On my 10.5 machine, clicking on a magnet link opens Opera but the file in Tranny is still RED.

On my 10.6 machine, no browser is opening but the RED file states it's missing metadata.

So why is this so damnably difficult...or am I missing something?!?

Please reply to my email below as I'll likely miss it here. Thanks in advance!

CJ Hinke
Bangkok
unblocktheplanetATgmailDOTcom
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

The magnet link added to T has to find peers that send the metadata. It's red because peers have not yet sent that data.
Adegans

Post by Adegans »

I don't see how the last 2 posts are related to this thread.