Scheduling downloads

Feature requests for the GTK+ version of Transmission
aldreth

Scheduling downloads

Post by aldreth »

I want to be able to schedule downloads in off peak times so they don't count towards my isp's monthly download limit. I can limit the bandwidth used, but not by time.

I don't seem to be able to do this using transmission. I'm using version Transmission 1.06 (5136) on ubuntu.

Is this feature currently only available on the mac version, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

It's currently only available on the mac version.

Scheduling is planned for gtk+ client at some point, but it's not a high priority because nobody's been clamoring for it.

If you want to make a patch I'd be happy to review it.
aldreth

Re: Scheduling downloads

Post by aldreth »

Thanks for the information.

I'm afraid that working out a patch is beyond my skills.
Wambat

Yes Please!! Add scheduling any time soon.

Post by Wambat »

Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too!

clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring clamoring

Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too!
dv_cool_fuel

Post by dv_cool_fuel »

Jordan wrote:It's currently only available on the mac version.

Scheduling is planned for gtk+ client at some point, but it's not a high priority because nobody's been clamoring for it.
hello can you please include a scheduler in the GTK version that would be nice

(I hope this counts as enough clamour) :D

Darrin
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

It bumps it up the TODO list a bit, but the fastest way to get this into Transmission would be to submit a patch. ;)
dv_cool_fuel

Post by dv_cool_fuel »

Yes I understand your situation, I am not a programmer but I am Linux savvy and can compile and test any code that is added. Unfortunately my skills don't include coding, my contribution to the community is by way of assisting on Bulletin Boards and helping people with installing and other tech problems.

I admire you guys with the programming skills

Thanks Darrin
Wambat

Programming

Post by Wambat »

My programming skills were limited to dBaseII... not much use here I afraid...
Must admit that this Lua has caught my interest ... just need some time away from daily pressures :-(

So come on Patch People... I´m sure that with over 300 views on this subject, there must be a demand.

regards to all,
Wambat
mezz

Re: Programming

Post by mezz »

Wambat wrote:I´m sure that with over 300 views on this subject, there must be a demand.
The number of views don't mean there is a demand. I do read in this thread and does it means that I want this feature? No. I don't even need this feature and is useless for me. I can understand why it is a low priority.
randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Consider me clamoring.
Lack of scheduling is the only thing that keeps me using Deluge instead of Transmission.

I'd write the patch myself, but I've not done any GTK development before. :(
ianc

scheduling downloads

Post by ianc »

I would also appreciate it if it was possible to include scheduling. It is a feature I really need with my ISP allowing me 7gb offpeak but only 5gb for the rest of the time.

Thanks very much to the developers for all the hard work they have put in already.
volcore

scheduling downloads

Post by volcore »

whilst not a perfect way of doing it, here's one suggestion until it is incorporated:

my off-peak ISP times are 0300-0900,

Option one: only download at these times
* set up cron job to start at 0300 that executes:
transmission-remote -t gtk --start all (or -t daemon if using daemon)
* set up a cron job to start at 0900 that executes:
transmission-remote -t gtk --stop all

Option two:
You could also use cron to throttle transmission during your peak period, i.e. throttle to 64k from 0900-0300:

* set up a cron job to start at 0900 that executes:
transmission-remote -t gtk --download-limit 64 (limit to 64)
* set up a cron job to start at 0300 that executes:
transmission-remote -t gtk --download-unlimited

Just a couple of ways to skin a cat...
leemajors

Post by leemajors »

i would also very much like this feature.

while i'm at it, adding a newer version than 1.06 into the Ubuntu Hardy Heron repo would be great :)
AnubisRae

Post by AnubisRae »

Bump for this feature!

I just switched from Transmission (1.3something) / OSX on my Mac Mini (PowerPC) to Transmission (1.34) / Ubuntu 8.04 (PowerPC) :D

Please can someone with "the skills" implement this feature so that my move to Ubuntu was not in haste? :o :?:

Thank you to whoever does :!: :clap:
untappedpilot2

Post by untappedpilot2 »

I think I have the solution for this "scheduling" problem everyone keeps whining about. I'm on my way to becoming the guy who makes patches and updates for requests like this.. but I'm not quite there yet. Anyway I currently use Xubuntu and I have a program I use called Kalarm which could be used in this situation. Kalarm allows you to execute commands among other things at a set time. I think : sudo apt-get install kalarm should do the trick to download / install it. Anyway once you've downloaded Kalarm open up the torrent(s) you want to download in Transmission and close down the program. Then open Kalarm and set a command to launch the Transmission Client at your specified time and it should start downloading your files. Hope someone can take advantage of this temporary fix until an update or patch surfaces for this request.