Start transmission-daemon with all torrents paused

Feature requests for the GTK+ version of Transmission
Pistol

Start transmission-daemon with all torrents paused

Post by Pistol »

I run transmission headless on my NSLU2. It's really awesome, except for the fact that it quite often crashes on me, and it takes an awful lot of restarts before I can get access to the web interface to stop all activity and give me a chance to clear things out (I'm pretty sure it usually happens because I've got too many torrents in the list at once, or too large a torrent going.)

I'd really love to be able to start transmission-daemon with a command line argument (-p, say) so it would start up with everything paused. Then I might actually be able to get it going again after a crash!
rb07

Re: Start transmission-daemon with all torrents paused

Post by rb07 »

You can do it by adding

Code: Select all

transmission-remote -t all -S
to your start script.

The command may need the user/password parameter if you have auth enabled... also I usually put a short delay before calling transmission-remote, otherwise it fails.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Hmm, I'll have to look into that... not currently using transmission-remote, are there any easy guides I can follow?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

No guide that I know of, try the manual http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/man ... ion-remote .

The idea is to incorporate the command I showed before into your start script. If you installed T using Optware there was no init script, but you had to add something (in /opt/etc/init.d) to make T start when the NSLU2 starts.

If you are starting it manually, then just run one command after the other, something like:

transmission-daemon && transmission-remote -t all -S
It may need a delay, as I said before:

transmission-daemon && sleep 5 && transmission-remote -t all -S
Or, if you are doing some debugging:

transmission-daemon -f &; sleep 5; transmission-remote -t all -S
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

That's excellent, thankyou!

I used to have a startup script in /opt/etc/init.d, but I managed to screw it up when trying to make it update the blocklist before starting transmission-daemon, and now I can't seem to re-create it :(

However, in some ways I think I prefer starting it manually - when it was starting automatically, if it crashed, I would get stuck in a cycle of reboot > Transmission starts > Transmission crashes > NSLU2 locks up. I had to spend ages rebooting to try and break the cycle, manage to kill transmission-daemon before it crashed, or just hope it sorted itself out :p

Keeping it manual and using the commands you've provided above should enable me to sort the mess out much easier if it crashes in future!
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

I've added a --paused argument to the daemon in http://trac.transmissionbt.com/changeset/8393/
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Wow, cheers!