Groups and other features from the OSX version

Feature requests for the GTK+ version of Transmission
avocado

Groups and other features from the OSX version

Post by avocado »

There are a few features the OSX version has which I miss in the Linux version. These may not come off as important features, but they contribute greatly to the overall usability (and "slickness") of the app.
  • Groups
    I see some talk of this from searching the wiki. In the OSX version you can assign color-coded groups to transfers, making them easy to filter out and visualize. This feature is fantastic for dealing with transfers with various private trackers. I make extensive use of this feature as I have many active transfers.
  • Colored progress bars
    Green for seeding, blue for downloading, gray for paused, orange for verifying. Gives a very apparent and intuitive indication of a transfer's status. Very helpful.
  • The "Keep Incomplete files in ____" option
    Allows you to specify a location to keep incomplete transfers. Keeping incomplete files separate is important, as you might accidentally work with them otherwise. At a glance I can look at my file manager and see what is finished and ready to be watched/listened to/installed/shared. Strange that this one is in the OSX version but not the GTK+.
The first two of these features I think are more important than some realize. I've introduced many people to BitTorrent, and of those people, the ones who start with Transmission on a Mac seem to fair much better. Those who use other clients get lost and discouraged, running home crying to a more familiar p2p method. To me, the reason for this is obvious. Whereas 'Power Users' can make do with some text on a CLI, more casual computer users need a friendly and intuitive interface. We all know this is one of those things keeping Linux and BitTorrent from complete mainstream dominance. I don't mean to suggest that Transmission devs should be burdened with such things, however. I just happen to think these kinds of features are very important while the world of open source tends to favor bare functionality over having a nice GUI. Transmission is so good (oh yes it is) because it's a fully capable client with a simply-but-deadly interface, so let's not forget that!
misfitpierce

Re: Groups and other features from the OSX version

Post by misfitpierce »

I think the colored bars should be incorporated with a nice theme like mac has on theirs but also have the option to choose match GTK theme like Chrome has in its browser.. Can use default or match GTK theme by choice. They should incorporate something like that where you can use Transmission theme like mac has to make it more spiffy and nice looking or just match GTK theme on linux. That would be awesome!
Benton

Post by Benton »

Yes, these are important additions to the UI that should be cross-platform.
ThisIsDylan

Post by ThisIsDylan »

PLEASE implement these. I'm stuck using Deluge on my seedbox, and would love to use Transmission, because I use it at home.
bree

Post by bree »

Groups
I see some talk of this from searching the wiki. In the OSX version you can assign color-coded groups to transfers, making them easy to filter out and visualize. This feature is fantastic for dealing with transfers with various private trackers. I make extensive use of this feature as I have many active transfers.
+1
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Sounds good to me. If someone wants to contribute a patch this will happen much faster.
i99i

Post by i99i »

here here +1
GREAT suggestions.
saxlampouxlas

Post by saxlampouxlas »

avocado wrote:There are a few features the OSX version has which I miss in the Linux version. These may not come off as important features, but they contribute greatly to the overall usability (and "slickness") of the app.
  • Groups
I agree that some kind of grouping/labeling should be *TOP* priority for next release. I mean, come on guys. This is 2010, not the 90s. People nowadays use 20MBit+ lines, not 56K modems. Having a couple of dozens of torrents running is not a rare case.

To be frank, I was very happy using Azureus despite it being a resource hog. But it allowed me to manage my downloads/seeds with great flexibility. A month ago I was forced to abandon it because it didn't play nice with private trackers. I started using Transmission because it was the top recommended linux client in some private trackers. Transmission footprint feels like a feather compared to the Azureus footprint, but not having any kind of labeling/tagging/category functionality is a serious drawback that has made me to keep looking for other alternatives.

Please don't get my intentions wrong here. Running Transmission feels great because of it being so unbloated. And the momentum for Transmission is great right now because of private trackers banning Azureus. But missing functionality that most users consider essential seriously hurts the potential adoption rate.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

saxlampouxlas: Submit a patch or use Azureus. We don't need a lecture from someone contributing nothing at all.
saxlampouxlas

Post by saxlampouxlas »

livings124 wrote:saxlampouxlas: Submit a patch or use Azureus. We don't need a lecture from someone contributing nothing at all.
Hello livings124,
The 90s called and they want their standard open source feature request back.

You may not need a lecture, but you will soon need users.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

saxlampouxlas wrote:
livings124 wrote:saxlampouxlas: Submit a patch or use Azureus. We don't need a lecture from someone contributing nothing at all.
Hello livings124,

Winner

March 2010 FSUES Grand Prize Winner

The Judges especially enjoyed the back-to-back use of "I mean, come on guys. This is 2010, not the 90s" and "The 90s called and they want their standard open source feature request back."

Arrogance: 8/10

Rudeness: 7/10

Repetitiveness: 10/10

Entitlement: 10/10

Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

saxlampouxlas wrote:
Hello livings124,

Um... you do understand this is free software these guys code for us as a hobby and they make ZERO money on it regardless of whether there are a million users or twelve users.
h8uthemost

Post by h8uthemost »

Nice job saxlampouxlas of acting rude towards the people that can actually make this grouping option happen for us.

I doubt the devs have this mentality, but I certainly hope they do not take this personally and stop any plans of adding this to a future release because of this clown. There are some of us that would love and very much appreciate this option, but can be patient as long as is it takes. If I knew anything about coding I would be all over making a patch for us Linux users.

saxlampouxlas you basically have two options if you have a long list of torrents in your client(which I currently have 66 in mine). For now you can simply use the filter option in the top right search bar to find a certain torrent, or you can just switch to another client like Deluge or KTorrent that has a column interface(but neither are as light as Transmission). Or you can even deal with uTorrent+Wine.

Just be patient. This feature will be well worth the wait if it gets released.
Deboau

Post by Deboau »

Well, two years have passed and still nothing changed. No torrent grouping support at all in official gui clients, neither 3rd party clients like transmission-remote-gtk (mostly abandoned currently) support this feature. Maybe it's kinda rude when someone is telling FOSS developers about what he'd like to see in the roadmap for a software, but 'just for fun' too frequently turns into 'just for me' development. I'm switching to Deluge.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Enjoy Deboau!