Total and per-torrent resource limits

Feature requests for the GTK+ version of Transmission
kovalev

Total and per-torrent resource limits

Post by kovalev »

I would like to clarify my view of setting "total" and "local" (per-torrent) resource limits in Transmission posted in General>Support.

In a current version of Transmission, one can set peers number per torrent and seed ratio (and may be even speed) for any given torrent via Torrent Inspector above global limits-per-torrent set via Preferences. Quite reasonable, as it allows a customer to distribute resources between active torrents in a more flexible manner. But then one shouldn't call limits-per-torrent as "Limits" - literally. Instead, they should better be called as "Default values" that could be assigned to each newly added torrent and then modified separately. However, there should definitely be the global "Limits" to total amount of each resource shared between all active torrents and set as global settings via Preferences. Even if a default "Honour global values" has been overridden by "local limit" (per-torrent) set via Torrent Inspector, total resource capacity should not be exceeded at any circumstances, and the rest of the resource should be divided between the rest of torrents with "local limits" disabled. An option "Honour global values" seems won't be necessary at all - global limits would have been honoured by default since they are the "Limits".

Of course, this approach could result in a depletion of available resource when starting a torrent, and in such a situation customers should be warned at least. Besides that, it would then be desirable to customers to have an instant access to all torrent properties including "local" resource limits at the moment of its addition. Thus I would suggest to move "download location" dialogue from torrent properties to a Torrent Inspector (files) window and invoke Torrent Inspector instead of current "Set location" dialogue. Besides an instant access to all torrent properties this would give customers some sort of unification.

Running Transmission 1.83+ GTK (rc10092) on Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux kernel 2.6.31.18 and Gnome 2.28.1).
kovalev

Re: Total and per-torrent resource limits

Post by kovalev »

Since a customer request to access to more torrent properties at the startup appears (Trac ticket http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2846 ), dare to post my view as an enhancement proposal at Trac. Hoping for more customers would feedback on the issue.