Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Post Reply
acidrain
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:31 am

Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by acidrain »

Hello,

I am running Transmission 2.12 on My World Book II (white light) edition. It was installed via Optware.

I have no trouble adding torrents, the problem is with the web browser open (I.E / Safari / Firefox - all the same) to server:9091 the web gui is displayed, for a while. Eventually you get "Connection Failed. Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect.".

Doing a refresh sometimes works, but eventually (even if you restart transmission via killall transmission-daemon, transmission-daemon) the web page will no longer load. It hangs loading with a blank page and the only way around it is to restart transmission, it when it will just happen again from within a short amount of time.

It is very frustrating and I open open to suggestions on how to stablish the web gui - also out of interest, when the web gui crashes, are the torrents still d/l in the background? Is their an ssh command line that can be run to see this information?

Thanks.
ntompson
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by ntompson »

Hi Acidrain,

I am having the same problem (I think). I have been having it for quite some versions now. I also have the white light MyBook. I have also installed transmission by Optware, and have upgraded as new versions come to hand.

I find that, after some completely random length of time - sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes many hours, the transmission web GUI stops responding. After some investigation, it has become clear to me that this is not a GUI problem, but with the transmission-daemon itself. "transmission-remote -si" also returns nothing at the same point. I have also installed MRTG to monitor both my router and the MyBook; it also shows that network activity drops to zero when this happens. So I think it is safe to conclude that UL / DL stops when this happens.

Like you, I have to kill and restart the transmission-daemon process to get things going again.

The annoying thing is that there are absolutely no error messages to help. Transmission-daemon reports into the system message log regularly, but there are no unusual messages prior to this happening. There are no dump files, nothing useful that I can find at all. I have tried running transmission-daemon in the foreground, but this also yields nothing interesting other than what I already see in the system log. I've also tried verbose logging, but it yields so much stuff that it is almost impossible to see what is going on.

There also seems to be no correlation with anything i do in terms of adding / removing torrents, other than a vague impression that it is associated with heavier torrent activity. Note that I have limited the max number of torrents to 20; while this seems to have increased the time it takes to crash, it still crashes. Note also that it never crashes if there are no open torrents.

I have googled plenty on this; I have found nothing. Which I guess is not surprising, given that I have no error messages to search on. I'd be very interested if others are seeing similar symptoms, or if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with this.

Nick
x190
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:59 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by x190 »

Note that I have limited the max number of torrents to 20; while this seems to have increased the time it takes to crash, it still crashes.
I would suggest trying limiting global connections to 100 or less, 10 -20 peers/torrent, and 10 max torrents, Test your available bandwidth and try setting T to 60% (or 80% official position) of available bandwidth. DHT also creates lots of traffic.
ntompson
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by ntompson »

Sorry - typo on my part. I have limited max peers to 20, not max torrents. I figure this is a very conservative setting.
x190
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:59 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by x190 »

ntompson wrote:Sorry - typo on my part. I have limited max peers to 20, not max torrents. I figure this is a very conservative setting.
Yes that is quite conservative. If you want you could look up your router at smallnetbuilder to see how they rate it for Max Simultaneous connections.

Perhaps the following forum could help.

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/c- ... t-programs
zeppelin
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by zeppelin »

ntompson wrote:Hi Acidrain,

I am having the same problem (I think). I have been having it for quite some versions now. I also have the white light MyBook. I have also installed transmission by Optware, and have upgraded as new versions come to hand.

I find that, after some completely random length of time - sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes many hours, the transmission web GUI stops responding. After some investigation, it has become clear to me that this is not a GUI problem, but with the transmission-daemon itself. "transmission-remote -si" also returns nothing at the same point. I have also installed MRTG to monitor both my router and the MyBook; it also shows that network activity drops to zero when this happens. So I think it is safe to conclude that UL / DL stops when this happens.

Like you, I have to kill and restart the transmission-daemon process to get things going again.

The annoying thing is that there are absolutely no error messages to help. Transmission-daemon reports into the system message log regularly, but there are no unusual messages prior to this happening. There are no dump files, nothing useful that I can find at all. I have tried running transmission-daemon in the foreground, but this also yields nothing interesting other than what I already see in the system log. I've also tried verbose logging, but it yields so much stuff that it is almost impossible to see what is going on.

There also seems to be no correlation with anything i do in terms of adding / removing torrents, other than a vague impression that it is associated with heavier torrent activity. Note that I have limited the max number of torrents to 20; while this seems to have increased the time it takes to crash, it still crashes. Note also that it never crashes if there are no open torrents.

I have googled plenty on this; I have found nothing. Which I guess is not surprising, given that I have no error messages to search on. I'd be very interested if others are seeing similar symptoms, or if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with this.

Nick
I am having the same problem. I dont thing that this has to do with the number of connections connections.
edit: In fact it crashes even if no torrent is loaded.
rb07
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by rb07 »

zeppelin wrote: I am having the same problem. I dont thing that this has to do with the number of connections connections.
edit: In fact it crashes even if no torrent is loaded.
You are correct. In fact it is a well known problem that affects many NASes, it went away long time ago (with new versions of Transmission or libevent) but some NASes still have the problem.

Anyway the solution is to disable libevent's use of epoll, just before you start the daemon set the environment variable :

Code: Select all

EVENT_NOEPOLL=1; export EVENT_NOEPOLL
acidrain
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by acidrain »

Thanks rb07. This seems to have resolved the issue. It still occurred after upgrading to 2.13, then I tried your fix and it has not crashed yet.

ntompson - how did you get on with this?
rb07
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by rb07 »

acidrain wrote:It still occurred after upgrading to 2.13
Let me be clear, it is not a Transmission bug, changing Transmission settings or versions will not solve anything.

I just mentioned that the problem seemed to be solved after changing libevent and T versions over time, in fact in my NAS I haven't seen this problem in probably a year or more, but there was another problem also related to epoll (I'm not sure if the real bug is in the kernel or in libc) so I put the disable back again.
lakrigg
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:32 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by lakrigg »

simple way to make this work on startup.

Edit your /opt/etc/init.d transmission script and add

this is my S90transmission file


#!/bin/sh

prefix="/opt"

PATH=${prefix}/bin:${prefix}/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
NAME=transmission-daemon
CONFIGDIR=/root/.config/transmission-daemon
DAEMON=${prefix}/bin/${NAME}

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

if [ -z "$1" ] ; then
case `echo "$0" | sed 's:^.*/\(.*\):\1:g'` in
S??*) rc="start" ;;
K??*) rc="stop" ;;
*) rc="usage" ;;
esac
else
rc="$1"
fi

case "$rc" in
start)
echo "Starting Torrent client: $NAME"
EVENT_NOEPOLL='0' nice $DAEMON -g ${CONFIGDIR}
;;
stop)
#if [ -n "`pidof $NAME`" ]; then
echo "Stopping Torrent client: $NAME"
killall $NAME 2> /dev/null
#fi
;;
restart)
"$0" stop
sleep 1
"$0" start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|usage)"
;;
esac

exit 0




See above, add the prefix before nice to autostart
hades_6_6_6
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by hades_6_6_6 »

Hi,
I've got exactly the same problem. Network breaking down after a while.
Unfortunately, the "EVENT_NOEPOLL='0'" didn't help. Probably because I am not using a NAS.
Transmission is installed on a DREAMBOX DM500HD sat receiver with a eSATA attached external HD.
I cannot imagine, that is a NAS related issue.
x190
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:59 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by x190 »

Hey hades_6_6_6, why don't you ask Image? :lol:

Have you tried limiting speeds and connections?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10931#p51062
rb07
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:14 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by rb07 »

hades_6_6_6 wrote:Hi,
I've got exactly the same problem. Network breaking down after a while.
Unfortunately, the "EVENT_NOEPOLL='0'" didn't help. Probably because I am not using a NAS.
Transmission is installed on a DREAMBOX DM500HD sat receiver with a eSATA attached external HD.
I cannot imagine, that is a NAS related issue.
With version 2.12?

With the wrong value? (Its EVENT_NOEPOLL=1).

And it doesn't have to be a NAS, any Linux based device with crappy old libc and kernel... which just happens to be most of the NASes.
darjon
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Transmission 2.12 Web GUI crashing

Post by darjon »

Everything working fine for me with the new version, all issues have been solved me thinks.
Post Reply