Updated Iphone Bookmarklet to Add Torrent

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
bulljit

Re: Updated Iphone Bookmarklet to Add Torrent

Post by bulljit »

programmer wrote: One caveat. I first tried the original installbmlet.html on my ipad. It didn't work. When I replaced it with this code, the bookmark it created did not have the new double backslashes in there properly, even though it was in the code. I had to edit the bookmark by hand.

The double backslash should ONLY be present in the installbmlet.html source code, because the bookmarklet's code was being passed as a string literal (my initial oversight and netj's great fix).

So your actual bookmarklet code in your browser should only contain a single backslash for each special metacharacter (as rendered by the above mentioned double backslash).

Not sure if that made any sense, but I updated netj's changes to that file :)
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

thanks for that great info.

my recommendation is to just link to some info on how to install a bookmarklet directly on the iPhone, but otherwise just provide instructions on how to create (or update? or edit?) a Mac (and PC??) side Safari bookmarklet that will sync to the iPhone. That's super easy.

Also... is there any way to get your server side code built into transmission itself rather than need to install it?
bulljit

Post by bulljit »

metaclam wrote:... is there any way to get your server side code built into transmission itself rather than need to install it?
That's would be up to one of the developers, you could always request it in the appropriate forums/trac :)

But honestly, the server-side files are a bit of a hack to get around cross-domain scripting issues. The more appropriate fix would be to have the Transmission RPC respond with JSONP, in which case server side files would not be required. https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/1508

Thanks for your thoughts on installation and thank you for using this. PLEASE let me know if any links do not filter correctly:

https://github.com/bulljit/Transmission ... t/issues/7

Bulljit
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

I made a comment on trac ticket 1508. It looks like it has been closed as invalid/wontfix. Maybe popular demand will get it reopened.

Are there other trac tickets we should weigh in on as well? If the devs won't implement what your suggesting, where can we suggest the implementation of some version of the existing "hack" as part of the code?
nextyoyoma

Post by nextyoyoma »

Thanks for working on this great tool. Unfortunately, I still can't get it work with either of the private trackers I use. I don't know how helpful i can be, I have very little knowledge of web development. Would it be helpful to know what sites I have trouble with?
nilgravitas

Post by nilgravitas »

Thanks for writing this. It's very useful.

I agree that the instructions for setting this up could be made a little easier to follow.
scchang

Post by scchang »

I'm running transmission-daemon on a seedbox. I don't have a transmission/web folder. Would it be possible to run the bookmarklet to add torrent with my setup?