Creating a Torrent

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
Robin Hood

Re: Creating a Torrent

Post by Robin Hood »

Why isn't there a way to do this through the GUI (since you can do it through the GUI on the Mac OS X version)?

I think it would be awesome if after running transmission-daemon on my server I could make a .torrent files through that GUI.

Also, how do we check which version of Transmission we're using?
sites

Post by sites »

If I may resurrect this thread, since my question is similar to the OP.

I'm using a FreeNas server with the Transmission web GUI. Everything is working as expected, except for this one thing. After downloading a file to my default location as set in the Transmission preferences (for example, a royalty free album downloaded to /freenas/torrents) the first thing I do is relocate the file to it's appropriate folder on my server (for example, /freenas/music). What I would like to do is seed from this new location, not from the default folder as set in Transmission preferences. There's no way to relocate the file from within the Transmission web GUI, so relocating the file must be done from the file manager on the computer I'm using to access my server. How do I make Transmission (on the FreeNas server) seed this torrent from the new location I have chosen on the server (/freenas/music)? If I open a new torrent file from the web GUI & choose "browse" I'm not allowed to browse my server. I can only browse the computer from which I'm accessing the web GUI. If I choose to use a URL instead, it's just going to start downloading that torrent all over again to the /freenas/torrents folder. I have a feeling that the OP was asking for a similar solution.

Anyone?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

sites wrote:There's no way to relocate the file from within the Transmission web GUI
Correct: Moving a download (let's call it different so its clearer) cannot be done from the Web client.

Don't get confused by the "Open torrent" browse button, that only works with .torrent files, not the torrent's downloaded files. I hope you see your last question doesn't make sense.
sites wrote:so relocating the file must be done from the file manager on the computer I'm using to access my server
Not correct. That is only one way to do it, which also would need to pause the torrent.

Options: Use a GUI with remote session capability. One of those is Transmission-Qt, which in the context menu has a "Location..." option that allows you to move files in the remote computer (or just set the location where the files already are -- without moving), the NAS in this case. Advantage: the daemon is fully aware of the operation; disadvantage: the daemon is not very good at doing this (it blocks everything while the move is in progress). I've heard one 3rd party GUI even lets you create aliases for the NAS directories; I think that was meant so you use the same directory names as in the file manager.

Option 2: Use transmission-remote to do it without a GUI, perhaps in a script. Its the exact same operation as described before, transmission-remote tells the daemon to move the file(s).

In short, what you are looking for is the "set location" functionality (and this has nothing to do with the title of this thread).
Callerip

Post by Callerip »

I know this a pretty old thread but I found rare information about the torrent, so I am asking for help here. I downloaded some movies or videos from torrent sites which are in different formats but unfortunately found that these files will not be compatible with my player. I googled a lot, but many pages about torrent can not be opened, I don't know why and I got another page about converting torrent to mp4 at here http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti ... o-mp4.html I found it can not support mac OS, any idea? I really need your help :oops:
sarah_lane

Post by sarah_lane »

what player are you using?