Yet Another 403: Forbidden!

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
excalibur

Yet Another 403: Forbidden!

Post by excalibur »

Hi Folks,
I'm using Ubuntu (Precise Pangolin) and just installed transmission daemon. This thing has been driving me crazy! :shock:

I edited my settings.json in /etc/transmission-daemon/

and set the following:
"rpc-whitelist": "192.168.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
The settings.json only appears in /etc/transmission-daemon. I checked ~/.config/transmission-daemon/, /root/.config/transmission-daemon and /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info. There are no other instances of the settings.json.

Code: Select all

sudo service transmission-daemon start
and voila in my browser when I tried to access it remotely:

Code: Select all

http://192.168.1.110:9091
403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.
Everything works when I use localhost, but I can't seem to be able to access it remotely. I've been Googling all the threads on the topic and applied all the solutions but they don't seem to work.

Any help would be most appreciated.

--
cheers,
Peter
maki.ato

Re: Yet Another 403: Forbidden!

Post by maki.ato »

Make sure you're editing the correct settings file. Check how transmission-daemon is started. There's a command-line switch that may be used to override this.
Make sure transmission-daemon is down BEFORE editing settings.json.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

Hi Maki.ato,

Could you please be more specific?

--
Cheers,
Peter
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

No takers?

How come one codes a software that looks for configuration files in multiple locations? Beats me!

There are so many folks out there who get this stupid message. This should be straightforward to fix...

In the meantime, I reached a dead end! :shock:

--
Cheers,
Peter.